Contemporaries Bethesda, MD
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Contemporaries is a staffing firm working closely with the National Institutes of Health. We are currently in search of a Biologist/Scientist III to work with the National Institutes of Health on a long-term contract. Fitting candidates should have an educational background in Biology or related subjects, and 4 years of related experience. This position will require someone who can multi-task, has strong writing skills, and is highly organized. This position will be onsite, in-person, on the main NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. This is a full-time position, with a standard schedule. Please see a summary of the majority of the duties, and the profile of a fitting candidate, below.
- Track aliquoted DNA samples in database and freezer.
- Initiate and maintain an organization system for laboratory samples.
- Work with staff to improve overall sample workflow.
- Conduct a physical inventory of lab samples and sample paperwork.
- Assess physical needs of the lab related to sample preparation and storage such as reagents, freezers, computers, etc.
- Correct errors and fill in missing information relevant to samples and pedigrees.
- Plan for and attend dog shows for sample solicitation; find veterinarians for blood draw and make necessary arrangements for their attendance.
- Respond to all correspondence regarding canine sample collection.
- Isolate DNA samples from blood and tissue samples that arrive in the laboratory.
- Track and maintain database that contains all informed consent information; develop new consent forms for individual studies.
- Develop brochures, thank you and other deliverables that highlight the advances of the laboratory and requirements for sample collection.
- Maintain ongoing regular email, letter and telephone correspondence with contacts regarding laboratory advances and ongoing studies; answer questions about study eligibility, mechanics of sample collection, study progress and long-term goals.
- Prepare surveys.
- Work with staff to prepare grants.
- Prepare weekly presentations.
- Provide updated information to the Dog Genome Facebook page.
- Proof and review CVs and biosketches for laboratory personnel to maintain NIH guidelines.
- Work products and documents related to inventory and organization of lab samples and sample paperwork, update information relevant to samples and pedigress.
- Work products and documents related to sample solicitation at dog shows; find veterinarians for blood draw; respond to correspondence; isolate DNA samples, quantitate, label, and enter into the Ostrander lab database and stored at -80.
- Computer generated work including log in samples and prepare them for DNA isolation.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or a related subject
- Minimum of 4 years of related experience
- Ability to communicate basic scientific ideas to the general public
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Additional database experience
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task and pay close attention to detail
ScienceView all jobs at Contemporaries