Contemporaries is a staffing firm working closely with one of the nation’s leading independent broker-dealers and Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs). They are seeking to add an Accounting Manager to their team. They provide investment products, services, technologies, and oversight to Financial Professionals all around the country. This position will be remote until Montgomery County has changed their orders. This is a direct hire opportunity.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for the daily administration of the Accounting Department. This includes responsibility for month and quarter close, as well as periodic production of financial statements. The objective of this position is to manage all accounting and treasury functions, ensure financial reporting complies with regulatory standards, and provide senior management with information to make decisions and develop resourceful solutions.
- Maintain a solid understanding of all aspects of the business and the related impact in the company’s accounting, controls, procedures and processes.
- Manage a team of 4 accounting staff, including performance management and appraisal.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
- Ensure proper authorization and accurate recording of all transactions.
- Compute monthly net capital calculation and prepare Focus and other regulatory reports for filing.
- Record financial transactions via journal entries, including month-end close process.
- Perform moderately complex analyses (commissions, rebates, accruals, etc.) and prepare monthly account reconciliations in support of the financial statements.
- Perform variance analyses and P/L reporting.
- Assist with the preparation and administration of the annual budget, monitor and evaluate budget variances, periodic comparisons to budget, as well as periodic operating forecasts.
- Manage the annual financial audit and outside preparation of tax returns.
- Ad-Hoc reporting and special projects as required by Senior Management.
- Liaise with parent company to ensure reporting requirements are met.
- Provide support to all levels of management requesting financial information and analysis.
- Implement and maintain departmental policies and procedures in relation to the technical functions of the accounting department.
- Design and develop financial reporting formats.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel including cell formatting, VLOOKUP, filters and Pivot Tables.
- Experience with NetSuite and Oracle desired.
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- Broker Dealer Experience
- FINRA Filing Focus
- Working knowledge of GAAP
- Prior experience working in financial services industry.
- FINRA Series 27, or ability to obtain in six months
- CPA certification desired
- Experience with working with large amounts of data.
- Strong project management and planning skills.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with at least 5+ years of accounting experience.
CPA certification desired