BAS/Controls Project Manager
- Posted: over a month ago
Building Automation Systems (BAS) / Controls Project Manager
Conquest Solutions, LLC (CQS) is a leading application and engineering consulting firm in the Washington, D.C. metro area specializing in Building Automation Systems (BAS), Design-build and General Construction. We assist federal, state and local government agencies; private sector companies; and commercial entities in the design and implementation of their BAS and General Construction projects.
CQS employees enjoy a flexible, fun, and family-oriented work environment. We collaborate and learn from each other, which leads to each team member’s contribution having a huge impact on the overall growth of our company. We have a strong culture rooted in our core values of INTEGRITY, INCLUSION and INNOVATION. These values guide every aspect of our work and contribute to high levels of employee happiness that results in superior customer service to our client’s time and again.
Our rapidly growing company seeks an eager and hard-working professional to join our team as an BAS/Controls Project Manager. This exciting career opportunity will provide operational and administrative support across the BAS department. In this role you are is expected to operate independently and in concert with Senior BAS field personnel/estimator. Typical responsibilities of this role include estimating (take-off & analysis), generating scopes of work, scheduling material deliveries and workforce, submitting and managing RFIs (Requests for Information), preparing and tracking project submittals, coordinating with sub-contractors, contract buyout, engineering and programming support, and general office work.
Projects include ground-up, installation, and retrofits. Typical projects vary in size and scope from 5k to 3 million+ and include BAS engineering consulting, Design-Build, Design-Assist, Design-Bid-Build, Plan-Spec, and Negotiated work.
Responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to the following:
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serve as primary contact to manage day-to-day operation of multiple Building Automation projects from planning to close-out
- Coordinate multiple aspects of commercial HVAC and building automation controls systems in commercial buildings, including high rises, schools, airports, medical, labs, data centers, pharmaceutical, stadiums, among others.
- Balance time between the office and one or multiple job site(s) as needed, and attend meetings (kick-off, preconstruction, coordination, estimating, quality control, safety, planning, commissioning, etc.) from project inception to completion.
- Work with various stakeholders including internal (management, estimating, preconstruction, design/engineering, installation, safety, purchasing) stakeholders and external (general contractors, building owners, other subcontractors [such as low voltage electrical, mechanical etc.), suppliers, distributors, and other business partners/vendors.
- Assist with surveying, planning and design, value engineering, cost estimates. Responsible for the development of project plans, communication, risk mitigation, and change management plans; ensure project documentation is complete, current and stored appropriately including RFI’s, submittals, change orders and proposals
- Manage purchasing, equipment and material deliveries, equipment buyouts and coordinate with BAS field personnel. Manage delivery of required materials and equipment to job sites while tracking inventory for the project
- Prepare conceptual and detailed bid documents, change orders and RFIs, forecasts, purchase orders, subcontracts,
- Track labor, materials, and budgeting (creating, managing, and maintaining), and close-out documentation tasks.
- Oversee and direct projects from conception to completion while also communicating with the client to ensure you understand the project scope and vision
- Create and update scheduling (Gantt charts and project timelines) in company software, determine necessary resources (manpower, equipment and materials) and properly track progress from start to finish ensuring project completion on time and under budget
- Support estimating department in the development of BAS controls cost estimates and scopes of work
- Plan ahead to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones
- Attend routine progress meetings with the client, vendors or subcontractor to discuss project updates, concerns, and resolution of issues
- Review all shop drawings
- Effectively maintain and control all program associated classified material (as applicable)
- Manage subcontractors and associated cost, billing, performance and client relations
- Continually develop quality subcontractor relationships for utilization on future business
- Actively participate in business development and proposal processes to ensure accurate scope and evaluation information
- Lead pre/post walk-through of the space with all involved parties
- Analyze current processes, personnel, and materials to identify methods for reducing costs.
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues
- Perform other duties as assigned by leadership
Critical Thinker: You’re able to evaluate feedback and ideas from clients and team members, consider all implications and risks, and determine the best next step forward while providing recommendations that will benefit your projects.
Communicator: You know how to develop and effectively communicate an idea to clients, how to exchange ideas with technical and creative types and how to keep your teams motivated and informed.
Negotiator: You’re comfortable discussing project scope, schedules and budgets with clients and vendors, as well as managing project details with internal teams.
Resourceful/Problem Solver: You can anticipate most issues before they occur, and you can find solutions quickly and effectively and make decisions independently.
Collaborator: You build and nurture positive working relationships with clients, partners, and internal teams and are not afraid to ASK for assistance when needed.
Leadership: You lead and motivate other team members as well as serve as a representative of the company in client environments.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in project management, estimating, or engineering of HVAC and building automation controls systems is preferred however not required with other qualified experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from a US accredited four-year college or university in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or related field of study preferred, however not required with qualifying years of experience
- Knowledge in commercial HVAC and building automation controls systems is preferred
- Thorough understanding and ability to read controls documents, including specifications, schematics, change orders, and submittals
- Strong verbal and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Proven experience in project management, preferably in the building automation controls field
- Demonstrated knowledge of control theory, automatic temperature controls, building automation systems and other building MEP systems
- Demonstrate knowledge of specification and design drawing review for control and mechanical applications as well as industry standards and best practices
- Experience interacting with subcontractors and other vendors to solicit proposals
- Demonstrate experience with multiple BAS vendor software and hardware
- Knowledge of IP-based networks and various building automation communication protocols and systems preferred. Such protocols and systems include Niagara Tridium, BACnet, LonWorks, Modbus
- Proficient in working with others to plan, conduct, and report work efforts
- Possesses the ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people
- Advanced understanding of risk management policies and procedures
- Experiencing managing budgets for building automation controls projects
- Strong knowledge of controls materials, processes and equipment
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Must possess a high level of ownership, enthusiasm, and a collaborative, professional temperament
- Ability to manage and prioritize a busy workload
- Ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information
- Experience with MS Project and/or other project management software is desirable but not required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
U.S. Citizenship Required
Must be able to pass a background check, reference check and a drug screening
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?