The Connectus Health Behavioral Health Consultant is an exciting position as a primary care team member providing brief consultative visits to patients and their primary care providers. Training and experience in evidence-based interventions and clinical counseling or health psychology is required. Must have a master’s in counseling or social work, or a PhD in psychology. Any/all licenses must be in good standing with the state of TN (eligible licenses may include Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Licensed Professional Counselor (MHSP designation), Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or Licensed Psychologist).
Purpose of Position
Contributes to the mission of the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) by serving as a primary care team member responsible for providing direct behavioral and mental health services. Services are provided for the community health patient population within an integrated care model and include psycho-social assessment; brief, consultation-based interventions; collecting sufficient data to make appropriate referrals. Clinician will provide consultation to patients and providers on a variety of issues and participate in the collaborative development of the patient treatment plan. Clinician will adhere to the core competencies of the BHC as outlined by Connectus Health.
Essential Job Functions/Duties
- Provides an integrated behavioral health service consisting of targeted assessment and evaluation, triage, brief intervention, referral, and acute crisis management.
- Delivers consultative services in a responsive, succinct, efficient, ethical and professional manner.
- Maintains patient confidentiality as expected by ethical standards.
- Adheres to the applicable ethical, therapeutic, and legal standards, which govern service delivery, as well as policies, procedures and laws, which apply to the organization as appropriate.
- Utilizes effective triaging and referral methods to refer patients to resources and specialty mental health care when appropriate
- Maintains thorough clinical documentation in the patient’s electronic medical record for integrated treatment planning and follow-up regarding clinical and work-life services.
- Completes assessments with patients expressing various issues e.g. substance abuse, mental health, and psychosocial concerns that may be impacting functioning and quality of life.
- Performs telephone consultation to patients as necessary, including initial assessment/intake, crisis intervention, education and referral, and brief intervention.
- Completes timely follow-up calls to patients where necessary.
- Provides on-going consultation services for a sub-set of patients who require on-going monitoring and follow up
- Provides timely and succinct consultation to the provider regarding consultation findings and professional recommendations.
- Performs and assists care team with delivery of a variety of screenings (PHQ-9, GAD-7, CAGE-AID)
- Assists the primary care team with responding to positive screens (PHQ-9, GAD-7, CAGE-AID, etc.) through clinical assessment, intervention, and referral to specialty care when appropriate
- Formulates and delivers behavioral health interventions appropriate to the primary care setting, and assists with the development and implementation of integrated treatment plans.
- Works with ancillary providers (internal and, where appropriate, external), clinical staff, etc., both formally (in-services, consultation) and informally (hallway conversations) to further the goals of the individual educational and/or treatment plans.
- Applies knowledge of and experience with a broad repertoire of psychotherapeutic skills from a variety of theoretical perspectives.
- Maintains the role of a generalist and demonstrates ability to address the needs of all clinic patients from birth to death.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a preventative, “readiness to change”, and strengths-based model.
- Performs job duties as a member of the primary care team
- Develops educational, training materials and conducts sessions or disseminates information.
- Makes meaningful improvement to services, program, and processes and/or organizational effectiveness that creates new value for patients and employees.
- Assists with monitoring the quality of care being delivered.
- Utilizes past clinical experience and strong diagnostic skills in complicated mental health and substance abuse conditions to appropriately assess and triage.
- Independently develop, coordinate and facilitate employee presentations and psycho-educational classes
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a master’s in behavioral health field including; social work, counseling or psychology.
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, or Licensed Psychologist
- Any/all licenses in good standing with the State of TN Health Professional Boards
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Two years’ experience working in a clinical setting.
- Trained in social, systems and familial aspects of psychological and medical conditions.
- Trained in substance abuse identification and treatment.
- Experience working in non-traditional mental or behavioral health setting
- Knowledge of the integrated primary care and behavioral health consultant model
- Understanding of the relationship between medical and psychological aspects of health and disease
- Basic knowledge of pharmacotherapy