Connections for the Homeless is a rapidly growing homeless services agency powered by our vision of ending homelessness in North suburban Cook County. Headquartered in Evanston, Illinois, Connections began over 35 years ago as a shelter run entirely by volunteers and has expanded to serve more than 1,500 participants every year through Eviction Prevention, Shelter and Housing services. Employing our core values of equity and inclusion, community, transparency, generosity of spirit, and resilience, we work in partnership with our supporters and the people we serve to achieve our mission of serving and catalyzing our community to end homelessness, one person at a time.
Connections is currently seeking an outstanding candidate to join our team as our Health Program Manager/Nurse. Our team is composed of compassionate, talented people who demonstrate their passion for our mission through shared leadership in a fast-paced environment in which we hold ourselves and one another to the highest standards.
Stemming from our board’s strategic vision of making Connections an exceptional workplace and performance-driven organization that implements best practices, we offer salaries that exceed the average for our industry, competitive benefits including medical & dental insurance, retirement plans and generous paid time off, as well as a flexible workplace with multiple opportunities for professional and leadership development.
The Health Program Manager/Nurse manages the agency’s physical and mental health programming, and provides basic primary care services and medical case management for participants across Connections’ programs. Reports to Director of Community Programs.
Health Program/Nursing Responsibilities
· Provides basic primary care services for Connections’ program participants with acute and chronic illness within nurse scope of practice, with the support of an MD on a bi-weekly basis
· Manages weekly psychiatric and bi-weekly medical clinics and assists psychiatrist and internists
· Collaborates with Connections’ staff to provide coordinated care regarding participant health and housing needs
· Assists participants in obtaining and maintaining health insurance and facilitates establishing care with a primary care provider or specialist as needed
· Collaborates with local health care and social service providers
· Provides TB screenings and health assessments for new Hilda’s Place residents
· Provides TB screening for staff
· Assesses need for and refer to emergency medical services when necessary
· Manages inventory of prescription and over-the-counter medications and supplies
· Educates participants and staff on health and wellness topics
Supervisory and Management Responsibilities
· Supervises mental health specialist and health program volunteers
· Collaborates with development staff on grant applications and outcome measurements
· Manages health program budget
· Shelter Team: member
· Management Team: member
· Health Team: lead/facilitator
· Adheres to the Core Values and Code of Conduct for Connections for the Homeless.
· Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Current Illinois licensure for Registered Professional Nurse required, Advanced Practice Nurse strongly preferred
· Minimum one (1) year experience as a Nurse required
· Experience working with persons who are experiencing homelessness, have mental illness, and/or have substance use disorders
· Understanding and adoption of harm reduction practices and trauma-informed care
· Current BLS certification
· Valid Illinois driver’s license
· Certified CPR instructor preferred
· Previous supervisory experience preferred