Schedule: Full Time Wednesday-Saturday 7a-5p (40hrs)
The Residential Youth Mentor/Counselor position will provide direct care, supervise, and assist the adolescents (during school and group times), and act as a role model reinforcing the adolescent’s individualized treatment plan. In addition, the Youth Mentor will facilitate groups as appropriate and will conduct therapeutic programming under the supervision of the Rehabilitation Therapist. The Youth Mentor must be sensitive to unique issues such as mental health, suicide and contraband.
The Connecticut Junior Republic’s (CJR) mission is to provide care, treatment, education and family support for at-risk, special needs and troubled young people so they can become productive and fulfilled members of their communities.
The REGIONS residential treatment program is a 6-8 bed facility that serves adolescent males ages 14 to 19 under juvenile court supervision. The program provides a home-like environment with a therapeutic, trauma-informed, culturally responsive, strengths-based and relationship-driven milieu. The staff of the REGIONS program is extensively trained to provide direct care and therapeutic support which emphasizes family engagement and empowerment and positive youth development opportunities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure physical safety of youth and provide Crisis Intervention
- Routine counts to make sure clients are present and safe
- Routine bed checks to ensure youth are present in their beds
- Maintain a professional relationship with youth maintaining proper physical boundaries
- Plan and lead organized daily activities and facilitate groups
- Conduct therapeutic programming under the direction of the Rehabilitation Specialist
- Interpret program to youth and family
- Complete all written reports as assigned
- Be aware and assure safety of youth with special needs physical or emotional
- Perform crisis and suicidal watches as instructed
- Provide transportation to clients and families as needed
- Maintain Administration of Medication Certification
- Reinforce and role model youths individual needs plan
- Regular and consistent attendance
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within program parameters.
- Ability to communicate, cooperate and serve people from all cultural identities with respect, professionalism, integrity and fairness in a manner that recognizes the individuality of each person.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance program effectiveness.
- Associate’s Degree (60 completed credits) and direct care experience, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with troubled youth
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of strengths-based and trauma sensitive programming preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain the following certifications:
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
- First Aid/CPR
- Medication Administration
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CJR recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
BENEFITS & CULTURE:
CJR prides itself on offering competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, an enjoyable working environment, and opportunities for career advancement.
- 3 Weeks of Vacation and 12 Sick Days to Start (Accrued Annually)
- Core Health/Dental/Life/LTD Insurance (at no cost to employee)
- Low-Cost Additional Life & Short Term Disability
- In-house Clinical Supervision
- Matching 401k to 3%
- Tuition Assistance
- Esteemed History
- Industry Leaders