Responsible for screening self-pay patients at hospital bedside for eligibility in various governmental and non-governmental programs. Responsible for identifying all sources of potential payors including auto insurance, Workers' Compensation, commercial insurance, private insurance, TPL, etc. to route account appropriately in the Patient Accounting environment. Also responsible for obtaining and completing the Confidential Financial Statement form and assisting patients in the process of applying for any benefits for which they may be eligible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
· Conducts interviews with patients and/or family members.
· Records and maintains complete documentation of activities performed on account while in-house and during the Patient accounting cycle.
· Performs financial clearance function including collections. Cancels accounts that have not had any patient cooperation and are not eligible for any programs and prepares accounts for Financial Assistance review.
· Follows up on MECS assigned accounts to ensure follow-through on Government application submitted. Develops a working relationship with patients, based on good communication skills, enabling accounts to be processed quickly with government program eligibility.
· Conducts field visits to patient homes for skiptracing and or assisting patient with documents.
· Notifies hospital case management, social services and admissions staff of case screening determinations and outcomes via verbal and written communication.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working familiarity with the rules and regulations pertaining to Federal, State and County programs
- P/C systems literate including Windows, and Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word programs
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as the clear understanding of the English language
- Detail oriented, with strengths in dealing with multiple facilities, Supervisors, and Hospital platforms
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with efficiency
- Bi-lingual preferred (Spanish)
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience required to perform the job.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years work experience with Social Services or Hospital Admitting or related area
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to sit and work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time
· Must be able to walk through a hospital environment, including across broad campus settings and Emergency Department environments, and visit patients at bedside
· Ability to travel
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Both Hospital and Office facilities, in direct contact with Patients and Staff