Lead and support daily laboratory operations in the Food Microbiology department by ensuring that they are sustainably staffed, and approved processes and systems are in place, maintained and functional.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Organize and execute daily laboratory operations to ensure that resources are effectively scheduled to deliver on customer commitments in a way that is compliant with the quality system, established protocols and procedures and corporate policies.
• Ensure that client results are analyzed and approved by qualified individuals within established turnaround times, ensuring that traceability and documentation requirements are unfailingly met.
• Support result interpretation and, when appropriate, involve other experts in the interpretation and communication of results.
• Review and authorize test results, supporting sample analysis troubleshooting and client specific requests.
• Support Laboratory Manager and/or Director in laboratory operations by providing critical analysis of laboratory metrics, thorough investigation of quality issues, including effectiveness evaluation of corrective actions, suggestions for improvement and support for planning and budgeting processes.
• Ensure that all staff are trained in a way that supports the quality of work being produced and that all training is documented.
• Ensure there is a plan to keep the laboratory staffed sustainably by developing succession plans and recruiting strategies are developed, implemented and evaluated on an ongoing basis.
• Monitor maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
• Engage the staff in the ongoing improvement of the laboratory, by involving them in changes being made and encouraging them to contribute their Bright Ideas. Support the qualification of any ideas with merit.
• Develop staff by proving meaningful and constructive feedback on an ongoing basis and in the context of the performance review process. Ensure that policies with respect to performance reviews are strictly adhered to. Ensure that hire/fire/discipline practices are carried out in a fair, clear and compliant way. Ensure the proactive involvement of management and HR in all appropriate cases.
• Guide resolution of administrative, technical or interpersonal problems. Seek support from within the organization for technical, quality, procedural and any other issues.
• Support and comply with all Company policies, Quality Systems & Health and Safety policies.
• Support Client Services to respond to client inquiries, complaints, and concerns.
• Participate in third party and internal audits as required.
• Create, review, revise, and approve SOPs.
• Direct and advise personnel in test procedures and results interpretation.
• Monitor laboratory purchase of inventory and storage.
• Communication Proficiency.
• Computer and MS Office Suite Navigational Skills.
• Ability to act on priorities.
• Attention to Detail.
• Manage Human Resources functions for direct reports.
• Interview for open positions and mak