This position will work from a home office, with travel required to other company locations.
The Director of Microbiology Operations will provide business, operational and technical leadership within the organization. This includes taking ownership for the execution of the operational plans and participating in the development of long-term strategies to ensure growth and profitability of the business. The incumbent will be responsible for all developmental and operational functions and shared business growth responsibility.
The incumbent oversees and directs all activities of the Microbiology business unit to ensure technical competency, sales growth, and high levels of client satisfaction by providing timely, scientific accuracy, and reliable services.
• Develop operating plans for the oversight of all microbiology laboratories that drive the top and bottom line performance, leverages synergies between the groups where appropriate and provides aspirational service and financial results.
• Direct and monitor microbiology operations, applying Matrix’s Enabling Principles – Expertise, Integrity and Communication – in all areas including client satisfaction, scientific integrity, quality improvement, business growth, profitability, employee competence and satisfaction, risk reduction, etc. Develop corrective action plans to improve performance or address deficiencies.
• Provide liaison and technical consulting expertise for customers and other business units, including acting as a client interface for inquiries and issue resolution.
• Provide technical, managerial, and administrative leadership and expertise to assigned personnel. Responsibilities include providing direction, evaluating results, monitoring wages, evaluating performance, hiring and developing employees.
• Support development of metric based evaluation of laboratories and drive adoption and
reporting of KPIs to identify opportunities for operational improvements and sustain gains
• Initiate and support organizational change as it relates to both process development and
standardization of workflow processes. This includes standardization across sites through
identification of best practices or new process design, collaborating with cross functional teams
and leveraging staff throughout the organization. Lead and manage change implementation
through local leadership.
• This position has the responsibility and authority to initiate action to prevent or minimize
departures from the quality system or operating procedures. This authority includes addressing
resource needs to properly address issues such as client turn-around time requirements,
overtime limits, employee turnover, work stoppage and assure the appropriate type and
amount of materials are ready and available for use.
• Develop and maintain personal expertise in business and technical areas such as emerging
technologies, scientific and industry trends, and regulatory requirements of importance to the
company. Create and maintain professional standing and image of the company through
participation in industry professional associations.
• Develop and maintain a working climate that fosters corporate culture goals, encouraging inter
and intra-division cooperation. Promote the company’s image and culture in all interactions
with employees, clients, professional organizations, vendors, industry personnel, and the public
• Communication and interpersonal skills to drive collaboration and staff development
• Critical thinking, including analytical skills as it relates to process
• Ability to effectively motivate teams, collaborate and drive technical excellence and continuous
• Organizational, planning and analytical skills
• Practical problem-solving skills
• 10+ years in Food Safety industry with focus on microbiological testing and management of 3rd
• BS degree, preferably in Microbiology or directly related field
• Extensive knowledge of laboratory operations
• Proven organizational agility and ability to execute on multi-functional project plans.
• Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally across teams
• Proven critical thinking and problem-solving abilities