Growing industrial manufacturer is looking for a Composite Process Engineer to add to their team. This person is responsible for providing overall guidance to a team of engineers, scientists and production employees that are engaged in the design, development, manufacturing and test evaluation . Working as a liaison between design teams, management and manufacturing team, the Composite Process Engineer utilizes its broad expertise in the fields of composites, adhesives and manufacturing to lead the team to successfully achieve their technical, schedule and cost management goals.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the design, development and production within the manufacturing processes.
- Serve as a technical resource to other engineering groups and project leaders.
- Be the forcing function between responsible design engineers and manufacturing.
- Develop future composite manufacturing processes by:
- Creating or improving tooling to error proof each process.
- Developing and testing material systems and cure processes to reduce touch time and risk.
- Work with existing and identify new vendors to support external manufacturing processes.
- Research new manufacturing methods and production related processes.
- Support the composites manufacturing team by:
- Addressing off-nominal parts from root cause through corrective actions.
- Develop cost efficient and streamlined fabrication tooling for current parts.
- Provide feedback to responsible engineers and ensure the most time-efficient and cost-efficient method of producing components.
- Review drawings to verify component manufacturability and tolerance stack-ups.
- Procure tooling to support any hand-layups or trimming operations.
- Establish personnel and tooling capacity to support the long-term manifest.
- Write and review materials and processes specifications, qualification test plans and reports in support to various projects and products.
- Manage R&D projects, support re-design activities, and investigate new materials & processes technologies for future products.
- Lead process optimization and cost reduction initiatives.
- Organize cross-functional reviews of machine requirements, design, qualification and capability.
- Create Request for Quotation/Proposal (RFQ/RFPs) that documents the design requirements of the automated equipment, delivery schedule, required documentation and qualification for acceptance at machine supplier facility and contract manufacturer’s factory.
- Engage machine suppliers for automated equipment design reviews and proposals
- Travel to the machine supplier and contract manufacturer for equipment bring-up, qualification, acceptance testing and support during build events.
- Drive machine qualification including correlation, process capability (CP/CPK) and Gage Repeatability / Reproducibility (GR&R).
- Run equipment experiments to bound the capability of the machine.
- Responsible for data analysis reports to communicate machine capability to the multi-functional teams.
- Provide early and on-going manufacturing involvement to ensure new products are mechanically manufacturable (Design for Manufacturability, DFM).
- Hands-on work on the manufacturing line to develop a deep understanding of the processes involved and their limitations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering required, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in an aerospace/automotive/military composite production environment.
- Knowledgeable about typical military and aerospace industry standards such as CMH-17, MIL specs, Federal regulations, ASTM, ISO, SAE specifications, etc.
- Extensive knowledge on composite mechanical testing and physical characterization methods as well as experience on statistical analysis methods as found in CMH-17.
· Experience in Project Management, preferably in composite development and manufacturing.
- Experience establishing new procedures and streamlining old procedures.
- Experience in authoring materials and process specifications as well as qualification/certification test plans and reports.
- Familiar with composite repair, protective finishes, sealants and coatings, a plus.
- Production support and MRB experience, a plus.
- Self-motivated person able to work under pressure under minimum supervision.
- Able to work in a team environment and interact frequently with Senior Specialists, Professionals and Technicians.
- Knowledgeable in crafting machine qualification requirements, design of experiments and failure analysis.
- Understands machine qualification including calibration, correlation, capability, repeatability and reproducibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proficient in computer skills Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook) required.
- Military experience, a plus.
- Some overseas and USA travel as needed with passport eligibility is required.