Local attorney is seeking an experienced legal assistant/office manager. The ideal candidate will be dependable, organized, possess excellent time management, and able to take initiative to work independently. Most importantly, the right candidate will be friendly and have a positive attitude.
The right candidate will be experienced and proficient in the following legal assisting duties:
- Prepare affidavits or other documents, such as legal correspondence, and organize and maintain documents in paper and electronic filing system.
- Prepare, proofread, and process legal documents, including petitions, briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, motions, contracts, pretrial agreements, etc.
- Prepare for trial by performing tasks such as organizing exhibits.
- Investigate facts and law of cases and search pertinent sources, such as public records and internet sources, to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
- Gather and analyze research such as statutes, decisions, articles, codes, etc.
- Meet with clients and other professionals to discuss details of case.
- File pleadings with court clerk.
- Direct and coordinate law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Mail, fax, or arrange delivery of legal correspondence.
- Call upon witnesses to testify at hearings.
- Prepare client/case files in both paper and electronic format with accuracy.
- Manage all cases consistently and maintain case notes and billable hours.
- Review legal publications and perform database searches to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases.
- Submit articles and information from searches to attorneys for review and approval.
- Meet with attorney as required to discuss cases and receive instruction.
- Assist attorney in collecting information such as employment, medical, and other records as needed.
- Schedule, coordinate, and facilitate meetings, conferences, mediations, court appearances, etc. over Zoom, Skype, telephone, and in-person.
- Prepare and distribute invoices to bill clients or pay account expenses.
- Monitor and update client accounts regarding payments and notify attorney of non-payment.
In addition to the legal assisting tasks, office management and secretarial duties are required:
- Monitor and maintain the office to ensure that it remains safe, secure, and clean.
- Manage and maintain attorney's schedule to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Acquire, distribute, and store office and kitchenette supplies.
- Analyze internal processes and recommend procedural changes to improve operations.
- Oversee and coordinate the maintenance and repair of office and equipment.
- Make photocopies of correspondence, documents, and other printed matter as needed.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, shipments, etc. and their associated costs.
- Make payments and record monthly office bills and subscriptions.
- Monitor and respond to phone calls and web-form consultation requests in an expedient manner in order to obtain and retain clients.
- Make travel/dining arrangements for attorney or clients as needed.
- Ensure all individuals entering the office wear face masks and sanitize hands; Screen individuals entering the office via thermometer for fever.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the law office.
This job operates in a professional office environment. Work will be conducted primarily in the office. However, some work may be conducted remotely via technology. This position may, at times, exceed 40 hours per week.
Position is primarily sedentary in nature; however, daily movement about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc. is necessary. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as needed. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, printers, scanners, etc. Must constantly operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone. Occasional lifting (up to 30 lbs.) is required.
- Previous work experience in a law office or legal department as a paralegal or legal assistant.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, email, legal research software and databases, etc.
- Experienced with Gmail, Dropbox, e-Fax, case management software, Zoom, and Skype, or willing to quickly learn.
- Experienced with computers, copiers, printers, scanners, multi-line phone systems, etc.