Fire Control Worker II
Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation Toppenish, WA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Fire Control Worker II (5) Positions
Department of Natural Resources
Hourly Wage: $13.87/Temporary/Full-Time
The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control as a firefighter, squad boss or Crew boss on an engine, helitack module, or hand crew. Duties will include: fire suppression activities, fire prevention, patrol, detection, or prescribed burning; search and rescue; tree planting; fuels reduction; and assisting the Yakama Nation community. The incumbent will also be involved with the maintenance and repair of firefighting tools, equipment, vehicles and facilities.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Serves as a squad boss or wildland firefighter to develop a working knowledge of fire suppression and fuels management techniques, practices, and terminology.
- Will be responsible to learn the following duties: safety rules of basic fire behavior, fire line construction, use of pumps and engines, hose lays using appropriate nozzle adjustments in the effective use of water and additives, working in and around helicopters, dozers, faller bunchers and skidders.
- Moves dirt, chops brush, small trees to construct fire line using various hand tools including Pulaski, Shovels, McCloud, power tools, chainsaws and portable pumps to control spreading of wildland fire and/or to prepare control lines prior to burning.
- Patrol fire line to locate and extinguish sparks, flare-ups, and hotspot fires that may threaten developed fire lines.
- Participate in fire and safety training techniques, practices methods of fire suppression and in the safe efficient operation and use of tools, equipment and vehicles used in fire line activities.
- Must participate in or lead crew proficiency checks, drills, safety sessions and After Action Reviews (AAR). Ensures own and others welfare and safety in all aspects of the assignments.
- The incumbent may be assigned to other duties which may include but are not limited to: cleaning outdoor recreational facilities, mows grass, trim shrubs, pull weeds, performs trail building maintenance, completes resources management projects; removes and disposes of hazard trees, tree planting, tree thinning, tree marking, cone collection, stand exams, and pole collection.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of fire behavior including causes of fire, influence of temperature, humidity, wind, topography, slope and fuel moisture conditions.
- Knowledge of technical firefighting such as helicopters, dozer, fire engine and hand crew operation and lead others while performing these duties.
- Knowledge of basic air operations.
- Knowledge of policies and guidelines pertaining to safety such as national policies, agency policies, and guidelines, Standard Firefighting Orders, Watch Out Situations and other related fire safety guidelines.
- Knowledge of basic First Aid.
- Knowledge of basic two-way radios and use of GPS Units.
- Ability to perform heavy physical work.
- Ability to obtain necessary certifications in areas such as single resource, falling and water handling.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions and use sound judgment.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions and to perform physical labor.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must have successfully completed Basic Firefighter Training.
- Must have successfully completed Introduction to ICS (I-100).
- Must have successfully completed Advanced Fire Fighter Training (S-131).
- Must have successfully completed Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Behavior (S-190).
- Must be able to pass Advanced Fire Weather Behavior (S-290)
- The rigorous duties of this position require the incumbent to meet the physical fitness test for arduous position.
- The hazardous nature of the job requires that protective clothing be worn (hardhat, leather gloves, leather boots, flame resistant clothing and other personal protective equipment).
- Enrolled Yakama Preference, but all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation
GovernmentView all jobs at Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation