The Corporate Communications Manager contributes to Concordia's mission by focusing on facilitating excellent internal communication and key leadership correspondences. The ideal candidate will demonstrateboth a keen grasp of the English language and a fluency with current communication tools and platforms to succeed in both in-person and virtual environments.
The Corporate Communications Manager will report to the AVP and will assist the Senior Vice President for University Affairs with timely and accurate employee and stakeholder correspondences and internal initiatives.
- Identify, produce or write content for employee communication channels including our intranet, weekly E-newsletter, videos and more
- Proactively identify news and feature stories and develop appropriate content for internal audiences
- Support an employee communications effort that boosts employee engagement and productivity
- Draft and send employee communications
- Define and track key metrics for measuring the success of internal communications programs
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with leaders across the organization
- Play a key role in producing employee and leadership events online and in-person
- Assist in developing presentations, including talking points, slides, and key messages, for use by leadership team as necessary
- Promote employee engagement activities in person and online
- Support senior leadership in preparing quarterly communications for board meetings, and university-wide events
- Support senior leadership to develop critical issues briefs and materials to support public affairs activities, legislative letters, and the like
- Support communications needs for other departments, particularly Human Resources, the Office of the President, and University Advancement
- Other tasks under the direction of the AVP and the Vice President for University Affairs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, adaptable for diverse audiences and a range of purposes, including but not limited to web, print, email, content marketing and fundraising.
- High level of creativity, with the ability to strategize content and concepts and see them through from start to finish.
- Excellent proofing, copy editing and fact-checking skills; ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both verbally and in writing; thorough knowledge of English language, grammar, spelling, punctuation and usage. Knowledge of AP (Associated Press) Style or the ability to learn and apply AP Style, as well as Concordia University style guidelines, to writing.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact and collaborate with diverse individuals, teams and groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient with Zoom technology, Campaign Monitor and Wordpress, and Social media platforms
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with the academic leaders as well as students, faculty, staff, donors, alumni and the general public.
- Ability to prioritize projects, establish and meet deadlines (sometimes on a tight timeline), and to work effectively with a team and in an independent manner.
- Ability to serve as a writing and editing mentor and technical resource for staff writers, student interns, campus colleagues and freelancers.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Some digital media production capabilities.
- Must be able to travel.
Education and/or Training
- Bachelor's degree in communications, English, journalism, public relations, or related field and five years public relations, corporate communications writing or journalism experience, or any combination of experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
- Experience editing is strongly preferred.
- Ability to actively and positively contribute to the college's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salary (exempt) position. Starting range is dependent upon on individual qualifications and experience. Concordia health, disability and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees and their eligible dependents. Tuition benefits are available for employees and their qualified dependents.
To receive full consideration, all applicants are asked to complete and submit an online employment application through theConcordia University Employmentpage. To begin, please clicktheApply Nowsection on the job page and then click theApply For This Positionbutton to begin the application process.Please submit three writing samples and two or three editorial project examples (e.g., magazines, brochures, websites).
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of CU to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The University will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, gender, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
However, CU is an institution of the LCMS and, to the extent allowed by law, CU reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion.In addition, preference in holding certain employment positions is given to ordained or rostered ministers of the LCMS.Based on a religious tenet, CU recognizes only male, LCMS ordained Ministers of the Gospel, but recognizes both male and female LCMS Rostered Ministers of the Gospel.
The Human Resources Department has been appointed to manage the equal employment opportunity program, including all equal employment opportunity activities, as required by federal, state and local agencies.If any employee or applicant for employment believes this policy has been violated, he/she must contact the Director of Human Resources.
Concordia University is a HLC accredited, co-educational, liberal arts school offering more than 70 undergraduate majors, over 40 master's degree programs, and 4 doctoral programs.There are also a variety of accelerated evening and e-learning programs.
Concordia is a Lutheran higher education community committed to helping students develop in mind, body and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and in the world.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Concordia University Wisconsin/Ann Arbor