Companion Pet Partners, LLC La Jolla, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
The Kennel Attendant provides care and the basic needs of animals that are being groomed, boarded or that are patients of the Veterinary Hospital including cleaning of cages, runs and ward areas, laundry, walking, and proper feeding, medicating amd care of all hospitalized patients. The kennel attendants operates under the supervision of the Kennel Attendant Supervisor and Hospital Manager
- Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent
- Handle animals as required and restrain animals
- Walk hospitalized and boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowel and bladder
- Bathe, groom and provide tender loving care to boarded and hospitalized animals
- Provide care for animals house/visiting the hospital. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to veterinary technicians and/or veterinarians. Ensure that animals are clean and fresh smelling prior to discharge
- Under the supervision of veterinarians or technicians assist with the administration of medications, post operative care or preparation of samples for laboratory examination, collect specimen, clean instruments, fill prescriptions as authorized
- Ensure that cages and animals are properly numbered and identified and that personal property (toys, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area and identified
- Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels, cages, and runs as often as is necessary to ensure no cages or kennels are soiled and odors ae not apparent. Perform general cleaning in other areas of the hospital to control the spread of the diseases. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls
- Launder and dry towels and blankets
- Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material
- Empty trash
- Groom animals utilizing techniques that vary depending on type of hair, coat, breed and owner instructions. Bathe and dry animals. As required, perform nail clippings
- Record information such as feeding, schedules, appearance, behavior of animals that are boarded, groomed or hospitalized. Exhibit a technical knowledge of products and medications sold, including dietary products. Demonstrate the ability to explain and educate clients on products and answer their questions regarding products purchase/use. Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the DVMs and the hospital philosophy
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Apply knowledge and skills in controlling/handling individual animal temperament
- Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them to transport, grooming and/or treatment
- Knowledge of proper methods of animal restraint
- Knowledge of grooming practices for wide range of small animals
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical labor
- Knowledge of principles and process for providing client and personal services. This includes client needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of client satisfaction
- Ability to work indenpendently on assigned tasks as well as accept firection on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written direction
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Frequently required to bend, stand, stoop, walk, sit, communicate, and listen, frequently working in a bent position.
- Frequently use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; will reach with hands and arms.
- Use strength or agility in capturing and restraining stronger, more active animals.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally handle dogs weighing up to and over 150 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients, hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases
Companion Pet Partners, LLC
AddressLa Jolla, CA
AnimalView all jobs at Companion Pet Partners, LLC