Veterinary Technician or Assistant
- $15 to $23 Hourly
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
Coyne Veterinary Center- Portage is seeking an experienced Veterinary Technician or Veterinary Assistant to join our team!
At Coyne, our goal is to provide excellent veterinary services to the community and do everything possible to help those in need. We are a full-service state-of-the-art animal hospital located in Portage, IN. Each one of our employees are chosen based on their compassion, skills and in-depth veterinary knowledge. We strive to create a nurturing, educational, and fun environment for all employees, clients, and animals who enter our doors.
The primary job for a veterinary technician is to exceed our client's expectations with exceptional patient care. The technician is the veterinarian's primary support. He/she is routinely entrusted with patient assessments, anesthesia, procedures and treatments. The technician must be a detail-oriented person who can make good decisions, respond quickly and calmly to crises, and maintain high standards of patient care. Technicians need to communicate clearly with the doctors, other hospital personnel and clients to ensure that patients receive the care that they need.
Technicians should enjoy working with diverse people and animals and be friendly and flexible in the face of varying expectations from clients and co-workers. A technician's focus is ever changing according to the priority of the moment. This often requires significant multi-tasking and creative thinking ability. They must remain calm and collected in the face of emergency situations in order to lead others through the tasks that must be accomplished.
Technicians must share a firm belief in the quality of care we provide and communicate this sense of assurance to clients. It is important to know and understand our services and recommendations and be able to clearly convey the value of the services to the clients. Excellent client communication skills and a commitment to outstanding client service are essential.
● #1: Provide compassionate care to all patients
● Administer drugs to patients according to the veterinarians’ orders. Routes of administration:
○ Calculate drug dosages and fluid drip rates
○ Know common drugs and their protocols and be able to explain them to clients ○ Perform physical assessments and document observations
○ Collect and perform laboratory procedures:
● Ear cytology
● Shin scraping/cytology
● Fecal flotation/smear
● Urine sediment analysis
● Operate and maintain laboratory equipment (microscope, bloodwork machines, etc.) ● Tag and process cremations
● Perform venipuncture and catheter placement
● Prep wounds and apply bandages
● Monitor vital signs
● Understand the use and care of IV pumps
● Record all controlled drug use
● Properly place endotracheal tubes
● Administer and monitor anesthesia
● Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures as requested by a veterinarian ● Admit patients following hospital policy and doctor's written orders
● Discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in medically appropriate state
● Greet clients and pets by name
● Note in medical records the details discussed during client conversations including the date, time, key points of the discussion and any action required
● Answer clients’ questions about veterinary services and products and provide knowledgeable advice about wellness, prevention and disease
● Fill prescriptions and provide routine administration instructions to clients ● Always refer to the veterinarian as doctor; never use the doctor’s first name in the presence of clients
● Prepare consent forms, estimates/treatment plans and be able to discuss the hospital’s financial policies with clients
● Prepare health certificates and/or proof of vaccination as requested by the client ● Advise clients on proper nutrition, flea/tick/heartworm preventatives, pre-anesthetic testing, pain management, shampoos, home dental products and other retail items ● Maintain clean, neat treatment and surgical areas including cleaning up at pets’ accidents
● Explain invoices to show value for the care provided
● Know fees for routine services
● Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) required for each job duty and keep PPE in good working order. PPE includes goggles or face shields, aprons, gloves and/or other equipment assigned.
● Understand infectious diseases and how to control and prevent their spread ● Maintain positive and cooperative relationships with other employees ● Attend monthly mandatory staff meetings
● Attend mandatory continuing education seminars
● Ability to read and comprehend instructions
● Proper animal handling and restraint
● Effective communication with clients in person and by phone
● Experience in caring for animals, proper restraint techniques
● Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
● Ability to work with computer-based veterinary software
● Exceptional customer service skills
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Reports to: Head Technician and/or Technician Shift Leader
● High school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
● Minimum age requirement of 18 years old
● Minimum of one year experience as a Veterinary Technician or Assistant
● RVT license preferred
● Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
● Endure standing and walking on hard floor surfaces for extended periods of time ● Able to work in noisy work conditions with sounds from animals and equipment ● Take safety precautions for exposure to toxins, drugs, anesthesia and radiation
● Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life insurance offered
● 401k offered after 1 year of employment with 3% employer match
● PTO and sick pay offered and increases with longevity of employment ● Uniform allowance
● Great pet care discount
● Friendly and compassionate work environment
Coyne Veterinary Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Coyne Veterinary Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Community Veterinary PartnersPortage, IN
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.