The Vice President, Acquisitions & Strategy’s primary responsibility is to identify and lead business acquisition opportunities to expand the production of our affordable housing portfolio as well as playing a key role in strategic capital planning. This position manages a dynamic internal team, augmented with leading consultants. We’re looking for someone who can identify, analyze and evaluate multi-family real estate opportunities, negotiate purchase agreements, complete due diligence, secure and close interim financing and professionally coordinate and drive acquisition activities. The right candidate is someone who is a blend of visionary business acumen and polished integration skills that can produce results to support our mission.
Are you motivated to join a team that strives to build life-changing affordable apartment communities that create a positive impact in our communities?
Are you a creative thinker who has multiple approaches on how to expand our real estate development statewide and beyond?
Do you understand the nuances of acquisitions, affordable housing deal making and financing while being sufficiently nimble to respond in a fast paced real estate market?
If yes, then send your resume and cover letter in response to this opportunity today!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Source and screen operating rental properties and land opportunities that match the business plan, our target markets and overall acquisition/development strategy; may include portfolio purchases in conjunction with single-asset properties.
- Manage and drive acquisition decisions with initial property development and financing concept and feasibility analysis.
- Participating member to help refine business development strategies on our Business Development Team (CEO, Senior VP of Real Estate Development and CFO).
- Oversee creation of project approval memoranda for presentation to Business Development Team, the Board of Directors and board committees.
- Structure property offers, negotiate purchase agreement terms and coordinate key closing activity with brokers/sellers.
- Direct and supervise internal team and external consultants, drive the analysis of preliminary feasibility and completes all due diligence, from writing the Letter of Intent through closing of the purchase. Including in-depth acquisition valuation, market assessments, initial underwriting for identified interim and take-out finance sources, and physical feasibility analysis, including rehab scope of work for operating properties.
- Coordinate project hand-off to real estate development and asset management staff.
- Prepare detailed Finance and Structure Plans for each acquisition.
- Implement and manage best practices development and project reporting.
- Monitor progress milestones in purchase contracts and acquisition timelines, and implement due diligence document control.
- Research and share knowledge of debt and equity markets for both land and operating properties, staying abreast of leading financial executions and structures to leverage internal resources. Identify, secure and close acquisition and bridge financing.
- Monitor and manage deal pipeline to maintain a competitive position in the industry.
- Participating member of Capital Team managing Organization’s equity and debt sources and to seek additional sources.
- Identify, develop, and leverage industry relationships to maintain the best political and business savvy position for our Organization and Mission.
- Strategic Thinking
- Results Driving
- Research and Business Acumen
- Decision Making / Good Judgement
- Sophisticated Real Estate Financing & Negotiation Skills
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Community and Regional Development, Public Administration, Business, Real Estate or related field, (Masters’ degree preferred) and 8+ years’ experience in the multi-family real estate sector.
- 3-5 years of progressive management experience in real estate development; with an acquisition focus.
- Able to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, including public presentation skills.
- Must be able to travel on a regular basis by car and plane; including overnight stays.