Don’t be bored at work. Come to Community HousingWorks and instead lead teams united by a passion for our mission and by a dash of fun. You’ll go home every night, satisfied that your work helped over 3,100 low income families and seniors statewide go to sleep in an affordable apartment that helps them forge stronger futures.
Community HousingWorks, a growing nonprofit apartment developer, owner and resident services provider, is seeking a strong leader to be its first Chief Operating Officer, in San Diego.
We need someone who wants to lead us toward increased internal strength, simplicity and collaboration to fulfill our strategic growth plan. The person we’re looking for thinks it sounds intriguing to dream and drive metrics, plans, and processes across departments, and to be our culture and values visionary. The right person for the job will find new energy and satisfaction as a competitively compensated business leader, in a 65-person organization that combines nonprofit passion and a high-performance intensity more common in for-profit organizations. As a leader, you have both a servant-leader approach and an urgency for excellence. A workplace low on personal politics and hierarchy and high on integrity will appeal to the right person.
- Are a leader who has been a part of organizational growth and successfully implemented systems to support that growth
- Love the idea of working with the CEO to carve out a new executive role in the organization’s white space
- Have 10+ years’ experience leading asset management, multifamily real estate functions, or social services, and 2+ years’ experience in senior leadership
…then you might be the person Community HousingWorks is looking for!
Reporting directly to the CEO, the COO is the internally-focused leader who insures that CHW lives into its values, implements the organizational strategic plan, and is viable and strong for decades to come. The COO is responsible for driving the plans, metrics, and accountability systems, as well as the inter-department team structures, communication and information systems, that integrate CHW’s work. The COO also drives a high performance, value-centered, collaborative culture and staff. The COO also has direct oversight of Asset Management, Resident Services, Human Resources, Facilities and Business Intelligence. As a coach and advisor, the COO collaborates with organizational leaders to drive change, remove obstacles, and create organization-wide energy.
COO Key Ongoing Measures of Success
- Performance of supervised departments and staff to plan and budget
- Planning/ Metrics and Accountability: Organization-wide, deep use of integrated Two-Page Plans and other CHW management system tools. Creation and use of simplified metrics / scorecards, for entire organization that allow transparent evaluation of progress on strategy. We are currently engaged in using the "Entrepreneurial Operating System" (EOS).
- Identification and completion of targeted, annual efficiency/effectiveness improvements in processes, interdepartmental structures, internal communication and information systems
- Lead improvements in staff engagement (including values knowledge and organizational knowledge), team meeting assessments, and recruitment/retention measures
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- MBA or other advanced degree; Bachelor’s degree accepted with additional relevant work experience
- 10+ years of professional experience leading asset management, real estate teams, or social services in the private or non-profit sector, with at least 2 years in senior leadership
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Proven track record of successful change management and process/performance improvement, in a complex and growing organization
- A patient listener with a servant-leader approach and an urgency for excellence
- Experience working across lines of difference (race ethnicity gender class etc.)
- Must be comfortable in a nonprofit social enterprise and ready to passionately commit to CHW’s mission: Provide and build life-changing affordable apartment communities with resident-centered services for working families, seniors, and people with disabilities to forge stronger futures.
- Experience in multi-family real estate preferred