JOB TITLE: Forensic Substance Abuse Counselor
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full Time
SCHEDULED HOURS: 40 hours
PROGRAM: DOC Osborn
SITE LOCATION: Enfield, CT
PC #: 2229
OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To be a member of the core team responsible for the provision of Medication Assisted Treatment to the inmate population.
- Provide counseling, care coordination, and monitoring services to inmates with substance use or co-occurring disorders who are considered for or are participating in Medication Assisted Treatment.
- Function in collaboration with CHR OTP team,, Department of Corrections Safety and Security staff, and Department of Health and Addiction Service staff to provide Medication Assisted Treatment and reentry services to incarcerated men and women with Opioid Use Disorders.
POSITION CORE COMPETENCIES:
Interpersonal Communication: Establishes positive rapport and trust with clients and co-workers; demonstrates core TAG value of Trustworthiness.
Collaboration & Teamwork: Effectively participates as a team member to advance common team goals; demonstrates core TAG value of Collaboration.
Cultural Competence, Diversity & inclusion: Effectively and respectfully works with others who have diverse traditions, beliefs, interpersonal styles, attitudes and behaviors.
Systems Oriented Practice: Functions effectively within the organizational and financial structures of CHR and other external systems in which they interact. Maintains the standards set forth by professional ethical guidelines and the code of conduct of CHR.
Quality & Performance Improvement: Works individually and within teams to improve skills and to achieve performance goals and improve outcomes; demonstrates core TAG values of Choice & Empowerment.
Informatics: Uses information technology to support and improve organizational effectiveness.
Safety Environment: Identifies, prevents and reports unsafe situations; uses appropriate procedures to assure safety environment; demonstrates core TAG value of Safety.
Screening & Assessment: Conducts brief, evidence-based and developmentally appropriate screening and conducts or arranges for more detailed assessments when indicated.
Care Planning & Care Coordination: Creates and/or implements integrated care plans, ensures access to linked services; exchanges information among clients, family members, and providers.
Intervention: Provides range of brief, focused prevention, treatment and recovery services for clients.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform biopsychosocial assessments, counseling, and monitoring service for incarcerated men and women with substance use and/or co-occurring disorders referred for MAT.
- Provide individual counseling or group counseling in conjunction with Department of Corrections Health and Addiction Services staff.
- Complete admission process and person-centered treatment plan according to agency standards.
- Document client services and relevant activity in electronic health record and perform assigned administrative tasks.
- Participate in assigned meetings including individual supervision, staff and team meetings, and required trainings.
- Collaborate with inmate client’s healthcare providers, social service agencies, and natural supports.
- Maintains documentation in compliance with agency and program standards.
- In conjunction with a Forensic Nurse Specialist, may participate in the chain of custody of medication between the dispensing CHR OTP and the correctional facility; including transporting the medication according to policy to and from the correctional facility.
- Responsible to accurately input data into the electronic health record.
- Collect and Monitor toxicology screens.
- Adhere to the standards for Medication Assisted Treatment as outlined by DPH, DMHAS, Joint Commission, D.E.A., and the U.S. Federal Government.
- Communicate with team members and Medical Doctor regarding patient status and progress..
- Additional duties as required.
Education: Degree/Certification in counseling or related field.
Experience: Experience with medication assisted treatment or correctional healthcare preferred.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: Substance abuse certification or eligibility or master’s level therapist licensure. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must complete DOC background check and partnership agreement.
Training: CHR and DOC orientation.