Co-op Retail Operations Director
- $80,000 Yearly
Purpose: Direct retail operations and manage the Retail Operations (ROPs) Managers at all locations to meet objectives for sales, margin, labor, and customer service. As a member of the Senior Leadership team, assist with organization-wide planning. Uphold the GM’s vision for the Co-op with respect to the retail department’s product offerings, merchandising, and service.
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Purchasing and Merchandising Manager, Center Store Manager, Grocery Manager, Produce Manager, Specialty Manager, CDT Store Manager
Specific Responsibilities of Retail Operations Director
- Participate on the Senior Leadership Team; collaborate on organization-wide policy, financials, personnel issues, systems and productivity improvements, emergency response, and other relevant matters with GM, Controller, HR Manager, and FS Director regularly.
- With the GM, Controller, and in consultation with ROPs managers, set sales, margin, labor, and inventory goals for Retail Operations Departments.
- Track financial performance for all locations weekly and consult regularly with the GM on the financial performance in ROPs departments.
- Monitor deviations from budget, take corrective action, and report to GM on actions taken.
- Approve capital expenditures for ROPs departments up to $500. Submit requests to GM for expenditures that exceed that amount.
- Keep current on cooperative philosophy, natural food products, competitors' prices, and business trends.
- Communicate with the GM in a timely manner with forecasts, plans, and concerns regarding operations at all retail locations.
- Work with the GM and HR Manager to formulate and implement objectives and policies required for effective management of Retail Operations staff.
- Work with HR Manager to ensure timely and uniform implementation of personnel policies and practices by ROPs managers; consult with HR Manager prior to significant status or structural changes in area of oversight.
- Work with HR to ensure that job descriptions for all ROPs staff are current.
- Provide direction, support, and tools to managers in all ROPs departments; meet with direct reports regularly regarding financial goals, department operations, store appearance, service, and personnel issues.
- Ensure that all Retail Operations managers reach labor, margin, and sales goals.
- Ensure adequate staffing within established goals for service, production, and labor expense; and in response to anticipated sales levels and staffing changes in ROPs departments.
- Work with Retail Operations managers to improve and troubleshoot systems and procedures for ROPs efficiency and productivity.
- Work directly with Food Service Director to maintain a smooth and collaborative relationship between FS and ROPs departments in all stores; collaborate with managers and others throughout the organization to plan, develop, implement, and ensure ongoing effective systems and procedures between retail locations and other Co-op functions.
- Stay up to date on Store Solutions and handling store emergencies.
- Provide emergency backup coverage for vacant shifts in ROPs departments.
- Work with retail operations managers to develop efficient and effective standard operating and training procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws: business licenses, permits, health regulations, labor laws, etc.
- Work with the Facilities Manager to ensure cleanliness, safety, and maintenance of retail locations.
- Work with the IT department to keep the POS system operational and aligned with IT systems in the rest of the organization.
- In conjunction with the GM and Facilities Manager, oversee all remodeling, major repair, and maintenance projects retail locations.
- Assist in maintaining the security of buildings, equipment, inventory, staff, and customers, including shoplifting training for staff.
- Ensure processes are in place and followed regarding loss prevention and related issues.
- Ensure compliance with the Montana Department of Revenue Liquor Control Division regulations; coordinate and provide training for staff.
- Maintain proficiency with pertinent programs and software necessary for Co-op operations.
- In conjunction with the GM, ensure that appropriate technology is available for ROPs staff to complete their job requirements.
- Work with Marketing Manager and Scan & IT Manager to implement and support advertising programs, promotions, and special events for retail locations.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Three years experience supervising and managing staff preferred; one year required, preferably in a food service or retail setting.
- Fluency using MS Office required particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook, with skills sufficient to communicate and develop and maintain documents with a high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience in the analysis of financial reports preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate regular, reliable attendance and work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; some early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekend shifts are required.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. throughout shift, occasionally 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods and to bend and twist repeatedly; ability to lift product overhead and/or to climb ladders with product.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time in front of a computer.
Community Food Co-opBozeman, MT
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.