The Childhood Lead Poisoning Program (CLPPP) within the Bureau of Environmental Health (BEH) at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is seeking an organized and professional individual with strong customer service skills to fill the role of the Office Support Specialist. This position will support the Director of Primary Prevention and Infrastructure and the primary prevention component to develop infrastructure and long-term sustainable partnerships with federal, state, and local partners as well as key stakeholders affected by the MA Lead Law.
CLPPP was established for the prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment of lead poisoning, including the elimination of sources of poisoning through research and educational, epidemiologic, and clinical activities. CLPPP provides a range of both primary and secondary prevention services to children, their families and others in Massachusetts with a focus on primary prevention of lead poisoning. CLPPP works closely with a wide array of professionals and programs that provide services to children to accomplish the fundamental goals of identifying lead poisoned children, ensuring that they receive medical and environmental services, and work effectively to prevent further cases of lead poisoning,. CLPPP also provides coordinated and comprehensive clinical case management services.
The Office Support Specialist will support the primary prevention team as they collaborate and build consensus and community engagement with partners. The position will require thorough knowledge of lead poisoning prevention through both medical and environmental interventions. The Office Support Specialist will schedule, and help to prepare for and document participation in meetings of diverse stakeholders with multifaceted objectives and competing interests. The position will also provide Counselor on Duty (COD) phone support for the CLPPP program as well as provide backup coverage for the DPH Marlborough office. As CLPPP transitions to electronic record keeping and a new case management and surveillance database, the Office Support Specialist will be required to provide administrative support for the initiative. The individual in this position demonstrates commitment to working in a diverse team that promotes racial equity and addresses health disparities for children and all citizens of the Commonwealth.
Please Note: This position requires occasional travel to various locations throughout the Commonwealth to attend meetings. Candidates should have access to a reliable vehicle.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Schedule and coordinate meetings for the primary prevention component, including sending invitations, typing agendas, taking minutes and communicating follow up information in a professional manner.
- Provide administrative support for primary prevention initiatives.
- Serve as the Counselor on Duty (COD) as needed and determined by the CLPPP program.
- Provide phone coverage for Marlborough office, as needed.
- Fulfill general office support needs for CLPPP including but not limited to maintaining up-to date contact information, e-mail list-serves, and resource lists.
- Maintain accurate and current program wide tracking spreadsheet of completed mandatory trainings for CLPPP staff.
- Provide support for document management initiative including organizing archive files, scanning and uploading documentation into the case management and surveillance database, and shredding documents with Sensitive or Personally Identifiable Information.
- Provide support for large or complex public records requests as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including the use of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Skilled in writing concisely, expressing thoughts clearly and developing ideas in a logical sequence.
- Ability to prepare documents and reports accurately.
- Capacity to assist customers of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of software applications such as desktop publishing, project management spreadsheets and database management.
- Experience with planning and coordinating meeting schedules.
- Knowledge of social service networks, public health advocates, or housing assistance programs.
- Strong communication, customer service, and excellent organizational skills.
DPH Mission Statement:
The mission of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
is to prevent illness, injury, and premature death, to assure access to high
quality public health and health care services, and to promote wellness and
health equity for all people in the Commonwealth. We envision a Commonwealth in
which all people enjoy optimal health. Massachusetts ranks among the healthiest
of states according to comparative analyses, but we face numerous challenges,
including chronic and infectious disease, substance abuse, violence,
preventable hospitalizations, and health disparities.
DPH coordinates programs and policies to address specific diseases and conditions and offer services to address the needs of vulnerable populations. We also develop, implement, promote, and enforce regulations and policies to assure that the conditions under which people live are most conducive to health and enable people to make healthy choices for themselves and their families. We license health professionals, healthcare facilities and a variety of businesses that impact public health. We operate the state laboratory and four public health hospitals. We monitor health status and manage vital records including births, marriages and deaths. We educate people about public health issues and work closely with local boards of health and community partners to identify and solve public health problems.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance