Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are looking for a chief of staff to directly support our founder and CEO, Jim Steyer. You will work across multiple levels of Common Sense to drive key organization-wide projects and keep the CEO up to date with necessary updates. We are looking for a high level of autonomy, creative thinking, and discretion to advance priorities and effectively leverage the CEO's time. The chief of staff is a highly visible role that partners with Jim and our executive leadership team to foster communication across the entire organization.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Founder and CEO, Jim Steyer
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Serve as an advisor and trusted partner to the CEO and help manage organizational priorities.
- Provide leadership on projects of high importance to the CEO.
- Drive projects that span Common Sense and other organizations, requiring cross-functional collaboration and resource allocation.
- Be a point of contact or gatekeeper between top management and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the CEO is well-prepared for meetings and events.
- Lead and/or coordinate responsibility for drafting the CEO's external communications and responding on behalf of the CEO to issues that arise, both internally and externally.
- Manage the CEO's media strategy in coordination with the communications team and others at Common Sense.
- Effectively leverage the CEO's role and schedule for fundraising and revenue/resource development purposes.
- Develop and manage the strategy for the CEO's travel and public appearances to maximize efficiency and exposure.
- Work closely with the executive assistant to the CEO to ensure the appropriate management of the CEO's calendar so all priorities are met and proactively planned for.
- Four-year degree required; graduate degree preferred.
- Seven years' experience in management consulting, communications, or public policy/advocacy.
- Ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience and comfort interacting across levels of an organization, including board members and senior executives.
- Strong project management skills with an ability to balance high-priority initiatives.
- An ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Proficiency in Spanish, or any other second language, is a plus.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with passionate professionals.
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently pass a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.