Job Title: Medical Assistant
General Summary of Duties: Assists in the delivery of quality medical and patient care in a fast paced and growing medical practice.
Typical Physical Demands: Requires full range of body motion including handling and assisting patients. Involves standing, walking, bending, occasionally lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Requires exposure to body fluids.
Examples of Duties:
1. Perform selected nursing duties, such as charting electronically.
2. Room patient, perform and document patient assessment, and review medical history.
3. Assist physician with minor office procedures and prepare exam room for these procedures.
4. Scheduling medical tests and other medical services. (Examples: MRI, Physical Therapy, and other specialty consults)
5. Follow up on abnormal test results to patients including physician’s instructions.
6. Inventory all medications, samples, and supplies and reorder when necessary according to office protocol.
7. Keep exam rooms clean and well stocked.
8. Assist with patient phone messages, documentation, conduct call backs, and escribe/phone in patient prescriptions in a timely manner per physician instructions.
9. Maintain current knowledge of medications, disposal of waste and sterile techniques.
10. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations and requirements for certification or licensure.
11. Assist with clerical activities related to appointment scheduling, patient intake including demographic and insurance information when needed.
12. Maintain patient confidentiality.
13. Excellent typing skills along with working knowledge of computers, fax machines, and other office equipment.
14. All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Knowledge of medical practice and desire to assist in providing compassionate patient care. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Skilled in maintaining records and recording test results. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.Ability to communicate clearly.
Education/Certification/Licensure: Graduation from an accredited program for Medical Assistants and is Certified or Registered as a Medial Assistant by the American Association of Medical Assistants or the American Medical Technologists.