Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our SDock Shop department.
We are pleased to accept resumes for a Docking Crew Supervisor- Leadman.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
- Assist the Project Superintendent as directed
- Manage, supervise, and direct the day-to-day efforts of department tradesmen assigned to the project
- Train lower level mechanics and semi-skilled employees
- 75-80% of the time will be spent aboard ship or in the shop supervising staff
- Ensure that all work done on the vessel and in-house is completed on time, on budget, and to the contract quality standards
- Inform staff of expectations and provide clear and consistent direction
- Provide training to new employees covering shop equipment and procedures
- Keep track of budgets and spending for their assigned jobs
- Maintain the right mix of skilled and semi-skilled employees working to keep the dollar cost as low as possible
- Provide ample notice of manpower needs and changes to the Resource Manager
- Manpower scheduling and maintenance, to include controlling overtime hours
- Hold the employees accountable for the established goals and check their progress to those goals on a frequent basis
- Keep track of and minimize material costs, to include, rentals, storeroom issues, subcontractors, and job materials
- Evaluate the necessity and progress of subcontractors and temporary employees
- Provide input to the Superintendent concerning job/material costs, manpower hours, and all other issues that may affect contract negotiations
- Promote and confirm that all employees and subcontractors are in compliance with the safety requirements, to include the necessary use of PPE
- Report and initiate discipline for safety infractions in accordance with company policy.
- Assist in determining project physical progress and project cost projections
- Document completion and control, to include Progress Sheets, discipline, timesheets, charge numbers
- Maintain the vessel, shops, and surrounding areas in a clean and safe condition
- Completely understand the quality requirements of the project they are assigned to and constantly monitor their assigned area for compliance to the established quality standards
- Identify and address all issues that may affect the successful completion of assigned projects
- Identify and document any potential growth work, not only growth that is needed to complete the job assigned, but also in areas of the ship where there is no agreed work currently
- Become familiar with all work related documents such as drawings, manuals, and bid specifications. Question requirements that are not clear or appear to be in conflict
- Identify improvements that can be made in yard work processes
- Will be required to wear personal protective equipment- hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes and, when necessary, respirator
- Work independently to complete responsibilities
- Must have regular, reliable attendance
- Other duties may be assigned as workload requirements dictate
Minimum of seven years shipboard experience within the trade to be supervised
Technical training preferred
Expert knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade
Must be able to work effectively with others
Must be a steady, reliable worker
Must be self motivated and able to complete responsibilities with minimal direction
Knowledge of crane operation
Knowledge of crane maintenance and repair
Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
Reliability and dependability as a crane operator
Use of measuring instruments
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• 401K, company match
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Legal Services
• Annual performance evaluations
• On-site Human Resources
• On-site gym
• Free and close proximity parking
• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard Inc. and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry