Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our Structural Department.
We are pleased to accept resumes for Structural Welders - 1st and 2nd Class. Current shifts are 1st shift: 7AM-3:30PM and 2nd shift: 3:30PM-12AM.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
- Weld together metal components of products, as specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding producers, or oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or think scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter
- Weld completion in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment o fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding
- Manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal
- Clean or degrease weld joint or work piece, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes
- Set up and operate welding equipment and select proper electrodes according to metals to be joined or as instructed
- Preform grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
- Burning, washing, edge prepping using hand and automated equipment
- Flux cored inner shield and dual shield welding along with oxy-acetylene torching, air-arc, weld-wire gas, stick and pipe flange
- Construct or repair metal products by joining parts either manual (using a variety of welding methods including electric arc, MIG and TIG welding or oxy-acetylene welding) or by machine
- Read and understand the Chemist and Competent Persons reports and determine if job sites, particularly those involving combustible material, are safe for personnel and hot work
- Preforms grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required
- Will be required to wear personal protective equipment – hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes and, when necessary, respirator
- Other duties as assigned
- Understand and act upon instructions
- Work independently to complete responsibilities
- Must have regular, reliable attendance
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to perform multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds using SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding)
- Knowledge of welding techniques (oxygen-acetylene, electric arc, and TIG), tools and equipment
- Technical training preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade
- Must be able to work effectively with others
- Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates
- Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces
- Must be a steady, reliable worker
- Must be able to compared and follow simple instructions
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Legal Services
• Annual performance evaluations
• On-site Human Resources
• On-site gym
• Free and close proximity parking
• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.
Although over 140 years old, Colonna’s Shipyard continues to maintain its commitment to modernization, making the capital investments necessary for improvements in efficiency and productivity. Today, Colonna’s is a diverse industrial company with extensive capabilities in commercial and government ship repair, machining and large steel fabrication.
Colonna’s strength is our employees. We employ the best and the brightest in the shipyard industry and we are proud of all that they do. From welders and ship fitters to government contract specialists, we have the right people in place to make sure the job is completed to the highest standards.
Colonna's Shipyard, Inc
Why Work Here?Colonna’s Shipyard, Inc. is located in the historic Berkley section of Norfolk, Virginia and is the oldest continuous family owned and operated private shipyard in the United States. Founded in 1875 by Charles J. Colonna, a 26 year old ship carpenter with limited resources, the early business was limited to pier-side repairs. Within 2 years, Charles had added his first marine railway powered by two horses that had a lift capacity of about 40 tons, and he was off and running. Although over 140 years old, Colonna’s Shipyard continues to maintain its commitment to modernization, making the capital investments necessary for improvements in efficiency and productivity. Today, Colonna’s is a diverse industrial company with extensive capabilities in commercial and government ship repair, machining and large steel fabrication. Colonna’s strength is our employees. We employ the best and the brightest in the shipyard industry and we are proud of all that they do. From welders and ship fitters to government contract specialists, we have the right people in place to make sure the job is completed to the highest standards.
Awesome opportunity, excellent benefits package, long term work.