Director of Campus Safety and Security
Collegiate School seeks a Director of Campus Safety and Security. The Director will maintain a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors by developing, establishing and enforcing safety and security policies, access control procedures and accident prevention efforts. This position will also be responsible for developing and implementing risk management strategies, fire safety precautions, emergency management and operations plans, and asset protection procedures. Parking control and traffic enforcement programs are also a responsibility of this position.
This is a full-time benefitted 12-month position reporting directly to the Chief Financial and Chief Operating Officer.
General Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the supervision of a team of 6-9 full and part-time Security Officers and on campus County Police Officers. This position has the authority to make hiring decisions for security officers and other campus safety & security staff.
- Provides vision, leadership, and administration for all safety & security related programs on campus.
- Develops and continually reviews school-wide emergency response procedures and protocols.
- Serves as a core member of the School’s Risk Management Team.
- Serves as a member of the School’s Behavioral Threat Assessment Team.
- Contributes to a team effort by integrating safety, security and emergency preparedness measures into the School’s daily practices in a manner supportive of all school divisions and functions.
- Conducts and coordinates safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training for faculty, staff, students and public safety officials relating to school safety, security and emergency preparedness.
- Monitors faculty and volunteer drivers ensuring that their driving records meet the minimum standards dictated by the School.
- Delivers biannual security update presentations to all faculty & staff (and at least annually provides safety updates to parents)
- Coordinates emergency responses with school administration, public relations, first responders, and other appropriate personnel working within the National Incident Management System.
- Conducts investigations as directed.
- Coordinates safety planning and practice to support all school divisions, athletics, summer programs and extended care, by creatively implementing best practices in safety, security and emergency preparedness with proper adaptation to the environment, creativity and innovation so the process of education can be enhanced rather than impeded by safety efforts.
- Monitors division carpools to ensure students are picked up and dropped off in a safe and efficient manner.
- Monitors weather events and works with Administrators in charge to ensure effective shelter and dismissal procedures.
- Develops and reviews security staff patrolling procedures, counsels security staff on performance related issues and ensures adequate training for their roles.
- Plans and executes special event parking plans and emergency response plans for large special events on the School’s campuses and/or other School venues.
- Reviews school calendars to ensure all school events and outside rentals have proper security staffing levels.
- Patrols the campus to provide a physical security presence and to identify/prevent potential safety hazards/issues including trips and falls, appropriate lighting and landscaping that does not impose on sight lines, lighting, and or security cameras.
- Manages the school’s keyless entry systems, door locking controls and security cameras throughout the School’s campuses.
- Updating annually all School emergency management communications (room/building signage; Emergency Action Plans; evacuation maps; and faculty/staff and Family Handbooks) as they pertain to campus safety & security
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- A minimum of 5 years demonstrated professional work experience in at least one of the primary fields relating to this position:
- Law enforcement
- Risk management
- Fire service
- Emergency Management
- Individuals meeting the above experience requirements that also possess a Bachelor’s Degree in one of the above fields, or a professional certification such as PSP, CPP, PCI, CEM, or AEM are preferred.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, with the ability to explain complex information and fact patterns in understandable terms to all levels of personnel.
- American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) certification as Physical Security Professional (PSP) or Certified Protection Professional (CPP)
- VA DCJS School Security Officer or Campus Safety Officer Certification a plus
- K-12 Behavioral Threat Assessment certification
- Minimum of 200 level FEMA ICS training.
- Well versed in VA laws & Code pertaining to Safety & Security and school environments
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments.
- Proven cross cultural competency skills demonstrating self awareness, awareness of others and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging in the ongoing development and maintenance of an inclusive campus community.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to a servant leadership model focusing on the growth and development of the team to successfully fulfill shared goals.
- Understands the big picture and handles areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with the School’s mission and values. Offers assistance within the office especially during busy times.
- Relates to the Collegiate community including faculty, staff, students, parents and applicants in a cooperative manner.
- Meets deadlines, demonstrates effective use of time and handles multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Understands the need for growth and is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
It is critical that candidates demonstrate a commitment to the School’s Core Values and Mission
Personal integrity and devotion to the truth, which make one trustworthy, forthright, responsible and fair.
LOVE OF LEARNING
A creative spirit that promotes intellectual and personal growth through exploration, inquiry and openness to change.
A sustained commitment to meeting high standards of character, achievement and personal accountability.
Fundamental regard for the dignity and worth of each individual.
A commitment to responsive and compassionate citizenship and service on campus, in the local community and in the broader world.
Who we are
Collegiate School is a co-educational, independent day school located in Henrico County, within 20 minutes of downtown Richmond, Virginia, for students in Junior Kindergarten through 12th grade. For more than 100 years, Collegiate has nurtured inquisitive thinkers, responsible citizens, and compassionate leaders. Grounded in the values that have sustained it over the course of more than a century, Collegiate provides its nearly 1,700 students with an engaging academic environment dedicated to preparing them for a globally connected and changing world.
The essence of Collegiate School is the richness of relationships among students, faculty, parents, administrators, and alumni in a dynamic learning community with high personal and academic expectations. This exceptional educational environment enables students to develop their potential for intellectual growth, leadership, and service.
Collegiate School is well-regarded for developing students into citizens who lead, serve and shape the world. We do so with the help of a caring faculty and staff who also have opportunities to lead, serve and shape the world, through the young lives they touch.
Below are just a few examples of some of the great advantages of working at Collegiate:
- Excellent professional development opportunities for faculty and staff
- Collaborative working environment
- A rich employee benefits package (which includes free lunch!)
- Opportunities for growth and leadership
- An environment that fosters creative and innovative instruction
The School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at the School are based on merit, qualifications and skills.
Collegiate SchoolHenrico, VA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.