*****PLEASE VISIT CHC.LA/COSCAREER TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND TURN IT INTO CHCM-HR@CHCM.US*****
NEW GRADUATES WELCOME TO APPLY
OUTPATIENT PSYCHIATRIC STAFF RN: DAY SHIFT (8HR SHIFTS)
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Provides direct medical and programmatic nursing care to adult patients, ages 18+, utilizing the nursing process and participating in patient and family teaching and discharge planning. Assumes responsibility for completing assigned duties and for supervision of non-licensed nursing staff. Works cooperatively with patient care personnel to maintain standards of professional nursing practice in the clinical setting.
· Current, valid State of California R.N. license.
· Ability to assess the age specific needs of adult patients, ages 18+.
· Current CPR certification.
· Management Assaultive Behavior (MAB) is required within 90 days of hire.
· Effective verbal and written communication in English.
· Previous psychiatric/chemical dependency treatment experience preferred.
Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching. Lifting up to 100 pounds. Pulling and pushing up to 180 pounds. Corrected vision and hearing to a normal range. Finger dexterity. Frequent exposure to stressful situations. Constant public and patient contact.
Constant exposure to noise. Occasional exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Occasional exposure to chemicals and general cleaning agents. Shift hours may vary dependent upon the department needs to include weekends and holidays.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
General Nursing Staff Accountability
· Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Hospital.
· Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
· Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
· Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
· Maintains required certification/license in a timely fashion.
· Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
· Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
· Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
· Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
· Adheres to the Dress Code.
· Demonstrates an understanding of personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
· Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
· Demonstrates effective leadership skills of delegation, organization, and coordination in managing program; delegates responsibilities to staff as appropriate.
· Continuously assesses and improves the performance of care and services provided.
· Effectively orients staff persons.
· Recommends space and other resources, as needed.
· Performs assessment/data collection in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychological and cognitive status.
· Formulates a goal directed plan of care, which is prioritized and based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcomes.
· Implements care of adult patients, ages 18+, in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and continuous manner. Continuously evaluates effectiveness of care.
· Functions to establish priorities of patient care based on essential needs of patient and available program resources of time, personnel, equipment and supplies.
· Assesses age specific needs and communicates with patients, in a manner the patient can understand.
· As the coordinator of care, the registered nurse shall be responsible for the observation and direction of patient lifts and mobilization, and shall participate as needed in patient handling in accordance with the nurse’s job description and professional judgment.
· Demonstrates awareness of hospital and department policies; participates in their development as appropriate.
· Utilizes established policies as a basis for decision making for both clinical and management issues.
· Demonstrates competency in selected psychometric skills and therapeutic use of self.
· Correctly identifies patient learning needs and implements age appropriate measures to meet these.
· Functions as role model in clinical specialty, demonstrating competency in clinical judgment, selected technical skills and appropriate knowledge base; provides clinical direction to staff.
· Performs documentation duties in patient record which are timely, accurate and concise.
· Demonstrates awareness of and sensitivity to patient rights, as identified within the institution and by the California Department of Mental Health.
· Keeps current with legal issues/legislation affecting practice area on a regular basis; continuously practices within the framework of current legislation affecting patients.
· Continuously functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
· Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons and documenting events.
Problem Solving/Decision Making
· Regularly practices effective problem identification and resolution skills as a method of managing problems and conflicts.
· Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the direction and coordination of the work of nursing team members, patient care and program activities.
· Regularly participates in program and Department of Nursing Quality Assurance activities; gives effective input into standards of development.
· Demonstrates effective communication methods and skills, using lines of authority appropriately.
· Regularly keeps self informed of content of staff meetings, new policies and other significant information.
· Continuously recognizes and utilizes opportunities for teaching program staff relative to their work with patients in program.
· Continuously demonstrates an awareness of self-responsibility and accountability for own professional practice.
· Responds to program needs with flexibility regarding schedules and resolution of staffing conflicts.
· Seeks validation of knowledge base, skill level, and decision making as necessary and assertively seeks guidance in areas of question. Continuously demonstrates self directed learning and participation in continuing education to meet own professional development needs.
· Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
Reports to: Charge RN