Director of Human Resources
- Posted: over a month ago
The Human Resources Department at Cohen Milstein has an opening for a Director of Human Resources in the Washington, DC office. Cohen Milstein is a nationally renowned plaintiff-side law firm with over 100 attorneys in six offices. The Director is responsible for the effective execution of all HR functions within the Firm, and reports to the Firm’s Executive Director. The Director of HR provides strategy, leadership and direction to the Firm’s HR function and related support services, promoting an energizing and motivating work environment for all lawyers and staff in the Firm, and implements policies and procedures to ensure high quality and cost-effective support. This position is hands-on, with the Director expected to carry out specific responsibilities, in addition to overseeing the work executed by a department of three members.
Oversight of Human Resources
- Hires and effectively manages HR staff
- Leads the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and discharging staff
- Keeps informed of trends in human resources management and identifies opportunities for improvement
- Ensures the design of the Firm’s benefit packages remains competitive and seeks cost-savings for the Firm
- Intervenes with benefits providers as needed to resolve escalated member benefits issues
- Updates the Firm’s benefits documents (e.g., Annual Summary of Benefits) and posts materials on the Firm’s intranet
- Oversees the planning and implementation of the annual Open Enrollment process in coordination and consultation with the HR Coordinator
- Participates in annual law firm salary surveys to ensures staff compensation levels remain competitive
- Creates tools and resources for Administrative Department Heads in preparation for annual salary increase recommendations
- Assists Executive Director with the Firm’s annual merit increase program
Employee Relations and Engagement
- Consults with lawyers and administrative managers to coach and counsel them to successful resolutions of employee issues
- Actively participates on assigned Firm Committees
- Works closely with the Evaluation Committee to oversee and manage the annual evaluation process for non-partner attorneys, paralegals and staff
- Reviews evaluations to ensure high quality and meaningful content
- Coordinates annual Partners’ Evaluation Meeting
- Remains informed about federal and state regulations to ensure Firm-wide compliance
- Ensures all CMST offices have updated federal, state and local labor posters, including information on the HR Hub
- Oversees processing of the Firm’s unemployment and workers compensation claims
- Produces annual filing of EEO-1 Report
Policy Design and Development
- Ensures the Firm’s policies comply with Federal, State and Local labor laws
- Works with external employment counsel as needed to develop or revise policy
- Develops, communicates and distributes new policies and updates changes in the Firm Manual
- Supervises Recruiting Manager who is responsible for the attorney and staff recruiting function and hiring process for temporary and contract lawyers
- Works with the Hiring & Diversity Committee and Associate Development and Mentoring Committee to ensure diversity and inclusion initiatives continue to be key elements in the firm’s recruitment, integration and advancement practices
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates strong leadership in delivering superior HR service to all internal and external clients
- Exceptional communication skills
- Thinks creatively and brings new ideas to the Firm and department
- Excellent organizational, time-management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrates effective supervision of HR staff, including performance evaluation, goal-setting, employee development and problem-solving
- Demonstrates strong teamwork and collaboration skills and effectively delegates
- Able to successfully adapt and craft solutions to changing business demands
- Consistently exhibits the highest standards of ethics, trustworthiness and professionalism in compliance with Cohen Milstein policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in Human Resources required; Master’s degree preferred
- 8-10 years of experience as the Director of Human Resources, preferably in a law firm
- Significant prior experience in a law firm as an HR professional, and preferably in a multi-office setting, which includes experience leading firm-wide initiatives, personnel recruiting, orientation, training, policy development, employee counseling, evaluation, compensation and benefits
- High level of professional integrity required; ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, lawyers, office, firm and practice management, and outside vendors
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume. All application materials should be sent in order as one PDF document in the order outlined above, and as one single PDF document.
Cohen Milstein is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse workplace. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and other candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
For the safety of our employees and clients, Cohen Milstein requires employees working in its offices (subject to certain exceptions) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Federal and State law prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status and disability.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: English
To see other positions, click here.
Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC
Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC is one of the country’s premier class action firms. With more than 90 attorneys and six offices, we specialize in groundbreaking and high-stakes litigation concerning Antitrust, Civil Rights and Employment, Consumer Protection, Securities Fraud and Investor Protection, Employee Benefits, Qui Tam/False Claims Act, International Human Rights, Catastrophic Injury and matters representing state attorneys general in civil law enforcement investigations and litigation.