Sr. Designer - Packaging
The Design Lead will manage, lead and support a team of designers and production artists and monitor the progress of their work against business needs and project objectives to ensure the success of the team. You will champion the client’s brand and ensure all work is within brand guidelines, while maintaining continuity between formats, line extensions and client/ vendor provided information. You’ll partner and collaborate with Directors, Project Managers and other Design Leads to help create workflow processes and workload allocation to effectively meet deliverables. The Design Lead is responsible for building and updating masters for the team, setting the standard and high-quality expectations. The role will advocate our culture, brand and community
• Hands-on design lead and creative steward for category brands and the creative conduit for your assigned team.
• Oversee and lead the creative process from inception to artwork release.
• Interpret concept and/or brand guidelines through to artwork release.
• Manage team and creative development for all assigned category brands.
• Art direct and design with the goal of achieving the optimal creative solutions.
• Be the creative authority for brand style guides. Adhere to style guide and extend when needed. Challenge status quo, when needed, and identify opportunities to enhance, when possible.
• Ensure accurate, consistent, and timely completion of high-quality design.
• Understand and execute artwork that adheres to legal and regulatory compliance.
• Maintain a positive and open dialogue with team members so they are fully informed throughout the project life-cycle. Set clear expectations.
• Able to contribute to a kick off and pre-production meeting on the evaluation of new projects.
• Ability to prioritize workload, proactively seek answers to questions, and meet assigned deadlines.
• Create strong and effective internal partnerships and collaborate across clients and our firm.
• Take ownership and be accountable for the quality of the work.
Success in this role is achieved by consistently demonstrating the ability to manage the client’s brand, uphold our company’s design pillars and manage multiple priorities both internally and externally.
Education & Experience Requirements
• 7+ years of experience in a graphic design role (experience in packaging design strongly preferred)
• 2+ years in production design development
• College or University diploma in graphic design
• Highly knowledgeable in multiple aspects of print production techniques
• Willingness and flexibility to accept direction
• Proficient using Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite (Expert knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign), Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (or Keynote)
Ideal Candidate will Possess
• The ability to work in a dynamic, speed-to-market focused team environment with a minimum degree of supervision
• Strong conceptual thinking and design skills with an ability to push the envelope
• The ability to think strategically to optimize creative solutions that support project goals
• Creative and innovative thinking
• A strong understanding of packaging requirements such as die line (folds, scores and trims), rollovers, type height and weight, line thickness and copy safety zones
• Ability to develop design intent production artwork files
• A strong knowledge of print processes, finishes and separations
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong presentation skills and an ability to engage client and sell work
• A strong attention to details and ability to manage a large volume of projects
• Insightful relationship building and interpersonal skills
• The ability to lead, manage and support team members
• A collaborative approach to working within the team
• The ability to work in a fast paced, highly dynamic environment and demonstrate resiliency
• Compassion, honesty and the ability to develop trust with the internal team and client
• A love of design, with a passion for creative excellence and pride in the work
• A sense of humor!