The Collections Specialist is responsible for the collection of non-secured delinquent accounts by initiating and maintaining contacts within our customers’ organizations and appropriately escalating issues internally within Coastal Chemical in accordance with the established collections guidelines.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing the collection efforts on assigned accounts, such as major oil and gas producers, in addition to a portfolio of small & mid-sized organizations, in accordance with the established collection guidelines.
- Accurately entering electronic invoices; demonstrating knowledge of customer specific billing requirements and notifying internal resources when not all required documentation is received.
- Requesting payment for past due invoices, by clearly communicating sales terms with customers and involving Sellers when collection efforts are not successful or if orders are on hold.
- Negotiating short-term payment plans if customer states inability to pay entire amount owing
- Using good judgment when releasing order holds; determining if an account is past due or exceeding credit limit and them reviewing collection notes and the customer’s payment history.
- Notifying Credit Manager and Credit Analyst when a credit limit needs to be reviewed for an increase.
- Clearly documenting customer contacts in the Company’s AR system
- Correctly identifying, documenting and resolving internal issues that are delaying payment; such as pricing, insufficient documentation and non-receipt of invoices
- Requesting and providing information to the customer to facilitate payment (invoice copies, bills of lading, purchase order numbers, well locations, person ordering the product/service, etc.)
- Identifying level of risk, recognizing red flags and informing management to ensure that appropriate escalation steps are taken.
- Effectively handle all incoming calls, leading to one-call resolution whenever possible
- Displaying a sense of urgency in dealing with customer accounts.
- Making regular contributions to team efforts, in addition to individual responsibilities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Ability to work independently, multitask, and handle deadlines within a fast-paced environment. Possess exceptional communication skills (written, verbal, and listening). Ability to use good judgment in formulating recommendations and preparation of data reports. Ability to think creatively and produce innovative solutions to problems. Ability to work on call for a 24-hour period during the course of a week, for order releases on a rotating schedule. Ability to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time. Ability to operate a computer constantly, along with other office productivity machinery; such as a calculator, keyboard, copy machine and computer printer. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and working knowledge of other Microsoft applications, such as Word and Outlook.
Graduate of an accredited high school or possess an acceptable equivalency diploma and have a minimum of (1) year of experience in commercial non-secured collections and familiarity with EDI billing and payment requiremetns for oil and gas customers. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel functions such as Vlookup and Pivot tables.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred
A comparable amount of directly related training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications at the discretion of the human resources office and the hiring manager.