The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (CSGV), and its sister organization, the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence (EFSGV), are the nation’s oldest gun violence prevention organizations. Through policy development, research translation, advocacy, community engagement, and effective training, we pursue evidence-based solutions to reduce gun death and injury in all its forms. The organization is seeking a Director of External Relations who will play an integral role in promoting and developing strategic communications and fundraising plan for the organization and will lead and participate in the execution of that plan. This position will guide and manage all external communications including fundraising and public relations efforts. This position is responsible for building and sustaining the organization’s brand and reputation with key stakeholders (including donors) for accurate public health data, reliable research translation, and aggressive advocacy.
● Obtain detailed knowledge of CSGV/EFSGV programs in order to oversee programmatic communications;
● Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual external relations plan across the organization's audiences in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Communications/Development Team;
● Coordinate the cultivation of relationships with national and local media contacts;
● Lead the generation and dissemination of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action;
● Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material including, but not limited to, fundraising appeals, newsletters, brochures, digital media, and websites;
● Manage the distribution of research, white papers and fact sheets;
● Mentor and lead team members responsible for the organization's fundraising, website administration and coordination;
● Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly across all organizational platforms;
● Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities; and
● Create rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines.
● Bachelor’s Degree;
● 7+ years’ experience communications and/or fundraising roles;
● Ability to travel;
● Experience in health communications and research translation;
● Experience in brand enhancement and management;
● Ability to use data to affect popular narrative and policy debates;
● Mission-driven, has substantive knowledge of gun violence prevention, public health, and health equity issues, etc.;
● Experience managing and executing across media platforms;
● Strong written communication skills, required;
● Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress and/or HTML;
● Willing to execute day to day tasks and work independently;
● Capable leader, manager and coach for board, staff intern and volunteer talent;
● Good entrepreneurial work ethic and a desire to “get the job done”; and
● Ability to prioritize, delegate, and follow through effectively.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence are Equal Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodation Employers. Except where otherwise provided by law, there will be no discrimination because of color, race, religion, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a parent, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, on the basis of personal favoritism, or any other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodations: The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Jumpstart:HR, LLC. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.