Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Cleveland APL - Tremont
Job Relationship: Reports to Clinic Supervisor and Medical Director. Works closely with volunteers.
Position Summary: Responsible for daily cleaning and sanitation of shelter facility, including animal enclosures and public areas, feeding, care, re-vaccinations, medical observation, and daily enrichment of shelter animals.
Essential Job Functions:
Provides optimal standard of care to all animals sheltered at the APL
Performs daily cleaning and sanitizing of kennels, cages, and public areas; follows cleaning and disease control protocols to ensure a safe, healthy environment
Feeds and provides daily enrichment to shelter animals
Does animal laundry and dishes throughout the day
Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment for staff and living environment for animals. Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
Stocks areas and spot-cleans kennels and public areas throughout the day
Promptly moves animals (adoption, isolation, quarantine, etc.) as instructed
Accurately updates animal records, including stage and location, in PetPoint database
Keeps supervisor informed of animal behavior, health, or other concerns
Maintains cleaning equipment, tools and appliances.
Conducts kennel inventory and ensures accuracy of animal locations
Informs supervisor of special needs cases for potential public relations or direct mail pieces
Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
Provides professional client, staff, and volunteer care - with the highest standards of customer care and service
- Conducts adoptions, provides adoption counseling/selection assistance, accurately enters computer data, completes necessary paperwork
- Educates clients on responsible animal guardianship and animal care
- Actively promotes and markets APL animals and matches them to appropriate families
- Performs follow-up services
- Assists clients seeking lost pets
- Accurately updates animal records in PetPoint
- Stocks areas and spot-cleans kennels and public areas throughout the day as needed
- Keeps supervisor informed of visitor, client and animal concerns
Performs other duties as assigned including but not limited to:
Represents the APL in a professional and courteous manner at all times. Provides quality service to customers, volunteers, and staff recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization
Promotes integration and utilization of volunteers
Actively promotes the APL programs and events to clients and volunteers
Refers clients to appropriate staff for service
Assists with accepting in-kind donations
Promotes communication and cooperation between APL departments.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Able to read and understand instructions
- Able to work with animals, disinfectants, and cleaning supplies
- Able to perform physical work: scrubbing, mopping, bending, lifting, walking and standing for up to 10 hours a day, lifting up to 50 pounds with assistance
Knowledge and Skills
- Animal husbandry, animal management, vet assistant experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability dealing with the public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people
- Ability to work with a computer in a Windows environment
- Knowledge of animal breeds, behavior, and handling
- Demonstrated ability to handle high-stress and emotionally charged situations
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively and with an adequate degree of independence
- Committed to maintaining the Cleveland Animal Protective League’s high standard of animal care and mission to foster compassion and end animal suffering.
Work is performed constantly in an animal shelter that operates seven days per week with exposure to animals, including some with questionable health and temperament concerns, high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, and cleaning agents. The person in this position needs to be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, constantly operate a computer, telephone, and other office equipment (i.e. calculator, copier, fax machine, and printer), and regularly move about the adoption area to assist clients and animals. Occasionally positions self to handle animals of all sizes in a variety of areas and positions (low cages, high cages, on tables, on the floor, in vehicles, etc.). Occasionally positions self to perform shelter and animal cleaning functions. Constantly communicate with visitors, staff members and volunteers who have inquiries about all aspects of the APL’s operations and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Must be able to detect and recognize animal behavior that is potentially dangerous. Occasionally move animals weighing up to 50 pounds (i.e. through the shelter on leash or using other safe restraint and animal handling equipment, into and out of cages in the shelter, into and out of shelter vehicles, onto and off of exam tables). Must be able to modify schedule to meet the APL’s operational needs.
FLSA: Full time, hourly, non-exempt
Competitive compensation based on experience. Eligible for major medical, dental, vision, paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance, matching retirement plan, optional cafeteria insurance plans, paid holidays, PTO for both vacation and sick time.
Cleveland APL Employment Opportunities:
Applying via standard mail:
Send resume and application to:
Cleveland Animal Protective League
ATTN: HR Manager
1729 Willey Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44113
Application Form (PDF format)
EEOC: The Cleveland APL is an equal opportunity employer and is looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.