The Dental Assistant supports the dentist during the examination and treatment of patients, and provides for the maintenance of accurate records, an orderly workplace and adequate inventories of materials.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Relieves patients and prepares them for dental treatment.
- Performs dental charting during exams.
- Arranges chairside dental trays to be used according to scheduled treatments.
- Keeps oral operating areas clean during dental procedures following OSHA guidelines.
- Prepares restorative materials and dental cements.
- Otherwise assists dentist during all procedures.
- Sterilizes instruments using autoclaves or chemical disinfectants.
- Takes, develops and mounts dental x-rays as required.
- Enters treatment data, and otherwise maintains patient records.
- Performs clerical and stenographic duties.
- Maintains inventories and orders supplies.
- Performs routine maintenance on treatment equipment.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Follows-up on broken appointments.
- Takes and records patient’s blood pressure.
- High school diploma or GED.
- A certification of completion of a dental assistant course at a vocational school.
- Must be able to interact successfully with patients, especially when they are anxious or in pain.
- Must have knowledge of oral anatomy and standards of oral hygiene.
- Must exhibit a desire to learn dental techniques.