The Senior Accountant supports the Assistant Controller with a wide variety of functions which include transactional processing, financial analysis, annual budget development and monitoring, cost allocation, monthly forecasts, program and annual audit support and the implementation of financial and compliance controls. S/He serves as a key resource for the organization and provides daily financial oversight to ensure that the financial records are complete, accurate and comply with generally accepted accounting principles, policies and regulations, to facilitate solid decision support. S/he will report to the Assistant Controller and proactively and cooperatively works with HQ management and staff to implement solutions as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and maintaining accounting policies, procedures and controls in accordance with sound accounting principles, applicable regulations and laws as well as best practice.
- Organizational and program budget preparation and monitoring
- Financial year end audits
- Periodic reviews of accounting and financial controls and processes for the entire organization
- The close out of projects, timely and accurate donor reporting and compliance. Coordination and the preparation of required reports for private, multi- lateral and government donors
- Inventory and fixed asset physical counts
- The coordination of the monthly and year end close
- Monthly analysis of financial performance
In addition, the Senior Accountant:
- Prepares supporting schedules for specific general ledger accounts. Analyzes and reconciles all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Performs financial analysis as appropriate to support risk assessment and inform decision making
- Manages all aspects of accounts receivable, cash receipts and banking, including the review of supporting documentation
- Processes and posts journal entries for routine transactions in SYSPRO and ensures accuracy of the General Ledger
- Maintains the fixed assets register
- Cross trained on accounts payable, cash disbursements, cash receipts processes, and payroll
- Performs other duties as requested
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA strongly preferred
- Three to five years of related accounting experience in a manufacturer/distributor setting
- Solid understanding of accounting practices and principles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with a high degree of proficiency in Excel and Word
- Proactive problem-solving skills
- Effective time management skills, self- motivated, critical attention to detail and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Analytic and detail-oriented, with good organizational skills.
- Self-motivated, high initiative and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked and fast paced environment with firm deadlines.
- Experience with budget preparation and budgetary control
- Experience with Inventory reconciliation
- Integrity, credibility, and a commitment
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently
- Experience with SYSPRO or similar software
- Fluency in English required - ability to communicate in local languages a strong asset.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- CPA or CPA eligible is strongly preferred
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.