This position serves as a working supervisor. The Communications Center Supervisor directs
and supervises subordinate staff, including assigning and delegating work projects, scheduling
employees to ensure proper staffing levels are maintained, and performance management
including evaluating work performance, coaching, mentoring and implementing corrective action
for performance or conduct issues. In addition to these duties, this position also functions as a
Communications Specialist and assisting in call taking and the full range of normal dispatching
One supervisor on the team will also be assigned to the role of administrative supervisor and
will assist in maintaining the schedule, preparing department reports, troubleshooting
technology, interfacing with vendors, building and maintaining our training program,
administrating our CAD system, and assisting the floor supervisors as necessary.
Key Tasks and Duties
- Performs all key tasks and duties of the Communications Specialist position plus;
- Supervises Comm Center personnel and plans work assignments to ensure our service
expectations are achieved
- Evaluates shift operations through observation of communication specialists and
recommends improvements or modifications to work practices and employee
performance as appropriate
- Works proactively with staff to resolve performance of personnel issues at the lowest
- Participates in employee evaluations, reviews timesheets, and investigates and resolves
complaints and problems.
- Identifies issues and implements basic corrective actions including coaching and
counseling warnings; and discusses the need for further corrective action with the
Communications Center Director and/or Human Resources Director as appropriate.
- Coordinates major incidents to ensure proper notifications are made; and assist in call
handling, and coordinates with Incident Command
- Stays regularly aware of employee actions and behavior for signs of stress, coping and
general emotional well being; specifically watches for these signs during or any time
after high stress and major incidents
- Responds to internal requests for information
- Ensures technical equipment is properly maintained and is functioning properly
- Completes reports regarding activity in the Communications Center.
- Assists in interviewing and training of new Communications Specialists
- Participates in travel and outreach to 9-1-1 centers, emergency rooms, and aircraft
bases to provide training and other support
- Performs regular shift meetings with their shift and conducts regular emergency drills for
safety and building evacuation procedures
- Promotes a positive and team atmosphere
- Assists in filling vacant shifts that require coverage
- Performs other related tasks and duties as assigned
- Techniques, procedures, and methods used in emergency communications centers.
- Computer aided dispatch (CAD) and general telecommunications equipment
- General knowledge of major cities and towns in the western United States
- Principles and practices of effective staff supervision and motivation
- Policies, procedures, laws, and requirements regarding air medical response.
- Effective interpersonal communication methods and techniques, including conflict
resolution and general mediation techniques
- An awareness of FAA rules and regulations regarding air medical operations
- Basic medical terminology
- Effectively perform the full-range of supervisory duties as described above
- Plan, coordinate, direct and accomplish the activities of the communications center staff
- Evaluate communication specialist performance and conduct; provide positive feedback
and constructive criticism as appropriate; and identify and recommend improvements
- Monitor performance issues and concerns; discuss notable performance or
performance concerns with the Communications Center Director as appropriate
- Assess the emotional state of staff on duty; react appropriately to staff’s needs in
emergency and routine situations
- Understand and apply supervisory guidelines policies or procedures in diverse situations
- Explain and help staff understand dispatch responsibilities, priorities, and procedures
- Apply a high level of initiative, discretion, and judgement in accomplishing the work
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with assigned staff, coworkers,
supervisors and managers, 9-1-1 PSAPs, hospital personnel, officials from other
agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Accurately dispatch air medical resources and equipment quickly and efficiently including
all the requirements of a Communications Specialist.
- Perform work under stressful or emotional conditions
- Work any assigned shift, including day, swing or graveyard and work all of the days of
the week including weekends and holidays.
- Candidates and incumbents must have ability to perform the essential functions of this
position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Education and Experience -
Any equivalent combination of education and experience that
provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform
the job. A typical wait to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- At least three years of progressively responsible communications dispatching
experience in a comparable air medical agency or PSAP. To be considered comparable,
experience must show proficiency with similar rules, regulations, equipment and
programs, and same range of dispatch and call taking services provided by Classic Air
Medical using CAD and telephony equipment.
- Experience or other qualifications that demonstrate strong decision making skills,
excellent interpersonal communication and conflict resolution skills, and ability to
successfully supervise, motivate, correct, train and evaluate assigned staff.
- Successful completion of the probationary period at the Communications Specialist level
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $28.00 per hour
Classic Air Medical
Why Work Here?We are an up and coming Aircraft Company, in constant growth, with a very competitive benefits structure.....Employees will also be able to work an Office Share schedule which would include one day in the office and 4 days at home working remotely.
We are an up and coming Company, in constant growth, with a very competitive benefit structure.....
North Salt Lake, UT