Expired: 27 days ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The City of Seattle believes in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and is committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the community we serve. Within the City, the Seattle Department of Human Resources (SDHR) provides services for the City of Seattle's diverse workforce. We are looking for a Director of Citywide Human Resources Governance to serve as the department's lead for defining a Citywide governance structure to support SDHR's strategic direction.
In this role, you will build and lead a best-in-class HR leader and practitioner community that will deliver competent and consistent HR products, services, and support Citywide. You will serve as a key member of senior management and work across systems to drive the City's Human Resources Governance strategies and create a workplan for the City's One HR model. You will partner with leaders and teams across the Citywide Human Resource community, working across HR operations to improve the quality, compliance, and richness of core HR services for clients and employees. Your work will reduce variance in our operations and improve the quality of service and ease of engagement for Citywide Human Resources Services.
You will serve as the primary lead for the development, implementation, quality assurance, and continuous improvement of the Citywide HR Governance system. You will be playing an integral role in ensuring a collaboratively accountable governance structure that results in high quality HR deliverables identified by mayoral, SDHR, Citywide HR leadership team, and workforce equity policy advisory (WEPAC) business priorities. In partnership with the City's HR Leadership Team, you will develop an annual City HR workplan. The annual work plan will align HR projects and operations to update existing standardized programs, policies, and practices and identify the need for new products, services, and support as defined by Citywide employee-centered priorities. You will be the primary leader for organizing, directing, and managing HR partner groups participating in Citywide HR Governance. These partner groups include: Cabinet level HR Advisory Team, the Citywide Human Resources Leadership Team and Citywide Communities of HR Practice.
**Here's more of what you'll be doing:** *Acting as the chief project sponsor for the department:*
* Developing project management methods, tools, processes, expectations, and resource forecasting of the work of Citywide Communities of HR Practice * Ensuring the learning and development of project-based HR outcomes across the enterprise * Sponsoring Citywide HR project design and implementation * Directing the inclusion of Citywide project outcomes for practitioners participating in Citywide HR Communities of Practice * Ensuring progress on HR initiatives and projects * Aligning individual performance measures and deliverables to organizational outcomes
*Leading the development and implementation of the Citywide HR workplan:*
* Ensuring the Citywide HR Governance Structure is centered in the goals of the City's Race and Social Justice Initiative * Creating and refining the necessary communication and checks and balances to ensure a Citywide HR workplan can be created, vetted, resourced, and implemented * Directing Citywide HR Communications in communications strategies related to the Citywide HR workplan * Ensuring operational compliance with Legal and Regulatory requirements across the Citywide landscape of HR Operations * Developing a communications protocol that allows for strategic planning, budgeting, and creative solutions vetting * Directing the work of the Citywide HR policy team in an effort to codify the outcomes of the Citywide HR work plan where necessary
*Fostering collaboration with HR practitioners and leaders across the City:*
* Seeking out savvy, smart, flexible, efficient, results-oriented creative practitioners and providing opportunities for their participation in HR Communities of Practice * Partnering with HR Practitioners to define and implement operational processes, metrics, and controls to improve the quality and effectiveness of Citywide HR services while ensuring competency and consistency * Partnering with leaders and teams across the City's Human Resources Community to build a robust Citywide HR roadmap and organizational norms to meet the critical business and decision needs of today and of the future * Partnering with Citywide HR Leaders to pilot, measure, and scale new programs
*Serving as a trusted representative of the Seattle Department of Human Resources:*
* Representing the department at Citywide events or meetings and interacting with City employees of all levels * Exhibiting personal and professional integrity at all times, actively adhering to and promoting SDHR's Values as published * Actively promoting and modeling communications and teamwork that result in a cohesive, results oriented, and collegial workforce * Developing a thorough understanding of the goals, mission, philosophy, and policies of SDHR, and demonstrating this understanding in daily tasks and interactions * Actively promoting, supporting, and managing key strategic Citywide initiatives, including those related to fair and equal employment and Racial Social Justice in the workplace Qualifications
You will be most successful if you have demonstrated significant experience and expertise in Human Resources, operations, corporate strategy, or consulting. A commitment to listening, creating space for diverse perspectives, and the pursuit of inclusive and just outcomes must be at the center of your professional practice. The ability to connect with cross-functional teams and agency partners will also contribute to your success. Your critical thinking and ability to analyze data and synthesize learning into insights and actions will be essential. Specifically, you'll be prepared to take on this role if you have: *Experience in:*
* Participating as a member of a highly functioning team with measured results * Leading a team directly * Working cooperatively across work groups and in multi-disciplinary teams * Communicating plans across a cross-functional and/or highly matrixed organization * Working on complex issues that require thoughtful analysis * Networking, influencing, and utilizing internal and external resources to accomplish goals
*A demonstrated commitment to:*
* Maintaining professional growth and development through continuing education, participation in professional associations, and other activities * Remaining current on regulations, technology, and organizational practices * Utilizing sound judgment, maturity, tact, and a sense of ethics and integrity in all situations and interactions * Taking initiative in identifying problems, seeking solutions through collaborative methods, and driving for results * Modeling a strong sense of urgency, even when managing initiatives with long lead times
*Substantial skills in:*
* Public speaking and presenting information to diverse groups of constituents * Verbal and written communication, coupled with excellent interpersonal skills * Time management, coping with multiple demands, resolving priority conflicts, managing competing priorities, delegating, and holding others accountable * Planning and organizing * Attention to detail and tolerance to ambiguous situations * Utilizing initiative and resourcefulness to work independently and assume responsibility for design, implementation, and completion of projects and developing recommendations * Managing large projects on time and on budget * Adapting to meet changing priorities and adjusting to different management styles * Leading by example to motivate and inspire cross-functional teams
*The ability to:*
* Think critically, creatively, and strategically under the pressure of tight deadlines * Be persuasive and professional in verbal and written communications with multiple audiences, including employees, customers, and other stakeholders * Influence and lead others, including those outside of the HR function * Align HR objectives with Citywide business needs * Understand challenges or underlying concerns, share ideas, and develop effective responses * Synthesize information from a wide variety of sources * Monitor and measure the effectiveness of HR governance * Coach, counsel, and develop employees, including those of different racial, cultural, and demographic backgrounds * Provide direction to management in an environment of change and a willingness to make difficult and challenging decisions * Provide clear expectations and directions and foster creativity and problem-solving Additional Information
This position is classified as an Executive 1 and is exempt from the Civil Service System. This position reports to the Seattle Department of Human Resources Director.
**APPLICATION PROCESS:** *To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application, attaching both a cover letter and a recent copy of your resume, to*https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle_ **no later than 4:00pm Pacific Time on Tuesday, September 24, 2019.**_ This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition, or pregnancy. The Seattle Department of Human Resources encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. If you have questions please contact Pam Inch at Pam.Inch@seattle.gov.
*Salary:* $86,693.76 - $143,069.75 Annually
*Location:* Seattle, WA
*Job Type:* Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
*Department:* Seattle Department of Human Resources
*Job Number:* 2019-01487
*Agency:* City of Seattle
*Address:* Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104
City of Seattle
Get fresh Director Human Resource jobs daily straight to your inbox!