The Seattle Animal Shelter is seeking a compassionate, team-oriented and dedicated Customer Service Representative to join our team. The Seattle Animal Shelter promotes public safety and animal welfare by enforcing the Seattle Municipal Code regarding animals, provides animal sheltering and adoption programs, manages a veterinary services program, and is supported by a large network of volunteers and foster parents.
The CSR team includes five staff and is central to shelter functions. They are often the first people customers encounter when accessing shelter services. CSRs help manage spay/neuter clinic appointments, maintain veterinary records for shelter animals, manage administrative tasks, answer volunteer and foster parent questions, handle animal control complaints, and fulfill pet licensing duties.
- Answer a high volume of telephone calls, emails, and online customer service requests and provide information and referrals regarding animals (both domestic and wild) and animal control in the City.
- Issue, renew and cancel pet licenses and process payments via phone, over the counter, by USPS mail and email.
- Research and resolve complex licensing/data/payment issues and help customers navigate the online licensing portal
- Process and prepare daily cash deposits
- Receive and interpret complaints of Seattle Municipal Code violations and generate cases in PetPoint for investigation by the Field Services team.
- Maintain the PetPoint database by merging duplicate accounts, updating customer contact information and providing user access to staff and volunteers
- Create routine correspondence, including letters and reports
- Sort, log and distribute incoming and outgoing mail
- Assist with research, coordination and response to Public Disclosure requests
- Maintain digital and hard copy files in accordance with the shelter's retention schedule
- Assist Volunteer Program and support volunteers
Requires a minimum of one (1) year of clerical experience involving customer service, public contact and/or experience in cashiering or other billing process (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
The most successful applicants will possess the following:
- A commitment to excellent customer service and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to interpret and apply City ordinance and rules
- Ability to work with a diverse customer base, including angry and hostile customers
- Willingness to work in proximity with and learn about different animal species (both domestic and wild) including dogs, cats, livestock, reptiles, birds, and rodents.
- Ability to independently make decisions regarding animal welfare.
- Experience working with animals or providing administrative support at an animal business
- Experience responding to Public Disclosure Requests and/or with the Washington Public Records Act (PRA).
- Training and/or experience with de-escalation and conflict resolution techniques when working with challenging customers
- Familiarity with PetPoint.
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for this position, in addition to your online application, to be considered for this position. Employment Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time