Citywide Human Resources Communications and Media Relations Manager
City of SeattleSeattle, WA
Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The City of Seattle believes in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and is committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the community we serve. Within the City, the Seattle Department of Human Resources (SDHR) provides services for the City of Seattle's diverse workforce. We are looking for a Citywide Human Resources Communications and Media Relations Manager to serve as the department's lead for communications, external relations, and community engagement by building best-in-class content and communications that result in high levels of engagement.
In this role, you will provide strategic leadership through external and internal communications, marketing, brand management, media, and public relations. You will serve as a key member of senior management and work closely with the department's policy team and members of the senior staff to articulate and communicate the City's Human Resources Governance strategies and create visibility for the City's One HR model. You will coordinate and organize the many voices within the City into a single consistent and effective voice that is customer-oriented and brand-centric. You will be the defender of the City's brand, ensuring consistency in action, message, look, and feel. Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to support the marketing needs of other Departments within the City by providing market research, strategy consulting, creative design, and copywriting.
Additionally, you will act as the community engagement lead, working closely with SDHR program managers and staff to design outreach strategies to ensure that SDHR programs, particularly those providing direct service to the public, are effectively publicized and grounded in racial equity. You will oversee the department's web presence and engage with the community to understand Seattle's employment opportunities and how SDHR's work advances racial equity and inclusion throughout the City.
**Here's more of what you'll be doing:** *Providing high-level consultation to help provide clear, consistent, and effective messaging:*
* Preparing briefing materials and speaking points for senior leadership * Working closely with counterparts in other City departments and the Mayor's Office to develop and execute consistent City positions on a range of issues * Assessing agency and audience needs and evaluating effectiveness of communication programs and making recommendations for improvements as needed * Understanding SDHRs' audience and assessing communication effectiveness through surveys, data analytics, and market segmentation * Overseeing brand management and ensuring staff understanding of brand guidelines
*Serving as SDHR's lead point of contact for all media relations:*
* Receiving and appropriately responding to press inquiries * Serving as SDHR's chief privacy officer and public disclosure officer, responding to all inquiries as required by law * Responding to public inquiries * Acting as the department's lead contact with all media, including responding to media inquiries, identifying media opportunities, and providing media training to staff * Developing organizational messages and determining appropriate content delivery for messages and audiences
*Managing and producing content for SDHR's communications platforms:*
* Overseeing SDHR's digital and social media presence * Designing and producing various communications materials, such as posters and banners, infographics, maps, program brochures, and reports * Producing clear strategic print, web, email, social media, and advertising messaging for SDHR public relations and public outreach, working with external advisors as appropriate * Executing and supporting all ongoing communications and marketing efforts to advance mission and programs of SDHR, including a Marketing and Communications annual calendar, new communications strategies, and campaigns * Creating and maintaining a content library, including toolkits, templates, and messaging
*Serving as a trusted representative of the Seattle Department of Human Resources:*
* Representing the department at community events or meetings and interacting with City employees of all levels as well as the public * Exhibiting personal and professional integrity at all times, actively adhering to and promoting SDHR's Values as published * Developing a thorough understanding of the goals, mission, philosophy, and policies of SDHR, and demonstrating this understanding in daily tasks and interactions * Organizing, overseeing logistics, and staffing a variety of departmental and public events * Actively promoting, supporting, and managing key strategic Citywide initiatives, including those related to fair and equal employment and Racial Social Justice in the workplace Qualifications
You will be most successful if you have demonstrated significant experience and expertise in communications and brand marketing. A commitment to listening, creating space for diverse perspectives, and the pursuit of inclusive and just outcomes must be at the center of your professional practice. The ability to promote and model communications and teamwork that result in a cohesive, results-oriented and collegial workforce will also contribute to your success. Your strong sense of urgency, even when managing initiatives with long lead times, will be essential. Specifically, you'll be prepared to take on this role if you have: *Experience in:*
* Brand Marketing and Communications * Direct people and project leadership * Developing strategic brand plans, such as communications campaigns and commercialization strategies * Leading marketing communication projects, including digital and media strategies * Connecting and collaborating with cross-functional teams and agency partners * Prioritizing and planning work, consistently meeting deadlines and developing realistic action plans * Analyzing data and synthesizing learning into insights and action
*A demonstrated commitment to:*
* Maintaining professional growth and development through continuing education, participation in professional associations, and other activities * Remaining current on regulations, technology, and organizational practices * Taking initiative in identifying problems, seeking solutions through collaborative methods, and driving for results
*Substantial skills in:*
* Writing, public speaking, and presenting information to diverse groups of constituents * Identifying and managing highly sensitive matters, both internally and externally * Effectively managing media relationships * Understanding technical information and translating it to non-technical audiences * Meeting the needs of internal customers and coworkers while maintaining brand consistency in communications with external customers * Managing large projects on time and on budget * Adapting to meet changing priorities and adjusting to different management styles * Designing personalized client experiences and telling compelling stories wherever and whenever content is consumed, bringing the purpose of an organization's brand to life * Leading by example to motivate and inspire cross-functional teams
*The ability to:*
* Think critically, creatively, and strategically under the pressure of tight deadlines * Be persuasive and professional in verbal and written communications with multiple audiences, including employees, customers, and other stakeholders * Foster and model effective customer service, both internally and externally * Coach, counsel, and develop employees, including those of different racial, cultural, and demographic backgrounds * Provide direction to management in an environment of change and a willingness to make difficult and challenging decisions * Provide clear expectations and directions and foster creativity and problem-solving * Translate business needs into communications materials and monitor and measure their effectiveness * Spot emerging topics and develop proactive plans with stakeholders, including crafting appropriate communications Additional Information
This position is classified as a Strategic Advisor 2, Exempt and is exempt from the Civil Service System. This position reports to the Seattle Department of Human Resources Chief of Staff.
**APPLICATION PROCESS:** *To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application, attaching both a cover letter and a recent copy of your resume, to*https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle_ **no later than 4:00pm Pacific Time on Tuesday, September 17, 2019.**_ This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition, or pregnancy. The Seattle Department of Human Resources encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. If you have questions please contact Lindsey King at Lindsey.King@seattle.gov.
*Salary:* $86,652.00 - $130,019.76 Annually
*Location:* Seattle, WA
*Job Type:* Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
*Department:* Seattle Department of Human Resources
*Job Number:* 2019-01463
*Closing:* 9/17/2019 4:00 PM Pacific
*Agency:* City of Seattle
*Address:* Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104
City of Seattle
Get fresh Human Relations Manager jobs daily straight to your inbox!