General Duty Statement
Performs entry level professional accounting work in the preparation and maintenance of ledgers and reports; and performs related duties as required.
Information about the current opening:
The current opening is in the Accounting section of the Public Works Department, located in downtown Saint Paul (25 West 4th Street, City Hall Annex Building).
The eligible list created from this assessment will be used to fill Accountant I positions in other City departments as they become available.
TYPICAL DUTIES (EXAMPLES MAY NOT INCLUDE ALL DUTIES PERFORMED):
- Records financial transactions in journals and ledgers for use in preparing trial balances and individual fund statements.
- Verifies and audits figures, prepares reports and other financial information, and makes analyses of reports.
- Assists higher level accountants in maintaining departmental accounting systems, compiling and preparing budget and financial reports and statements, monitoring budget control accounts, and analyzing revenues and expenditures.
- Maintains and monitors accounts receivable or accounts payable records by verifying account status with transaction records, analyzing transactions for accuracy and compliance to procedures, identifying variances and making corrections, following up with delinquent accounts receivable procedures, and preparing related financial reports and records.
- Assists higher level accountants or managers with the preparation of the annual financial report or independent audit.
- Prepares financial statements and periodic financial reports including monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Accountant I Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul's mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field and 16 quarter credits or 11 semester credits in Accounting courses. (No substitution for education.)
- Governmental accounting experience
By Closing Date, you MUST
1. Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
2. Upload or submit the following required documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- A legible copy of your college transcripts (required), and
- A legible copy of your resume (optional)
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Not sure how City of Saint Paul's hiring process works? Attend one of our Elevate sessions. The schedule is available at www.stpaul.gov/elevate.
Selection Process Information
Assessment: Written Knowledge Assessment
Assessment consists of: multiple-choice, fill in the blank, and problem-solving questions developed to assess your knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping. This assessment includes questions covering the following areas: accounting principles and practices, financial analysis and auditing principles, mathematics, and analytical ability.
Please Note: Eligible (meet minimum requirements) candidates will receive an email regarding the assessment, which will include the date/time of the written test.
Additional Information about the written assessment:
- The assessment will take approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to check-in.
- You must bring a Photo Identification (i.e. valid driver's license, government issued identification card, military identification or passport) for verification purposes.
- You may not bring any references or materials such as textbooks, manuals, computers, or electronic devices. Calculators will be provided.
If you have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, you may be eligible for accommodation in the assessment process. Please contact 651-266-6500, to request a testing accommodation.
Open Job Posting: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements.
Eligible Lists: Eligible lists typically are created from a pass/fail assessment. Those who pass the assessment will be placed on an eligible list for approximately one year. Hiring Managers may interview/hire anyone from the list.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or other evaluation method.
Condition of Employment: This position will require a credit check and a background check which may include criminal history, and employment history as a condition of employment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Diane Turnbull at 651-266-6506
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran's Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran's preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.