Equipment Mechanic - Fleet Services
- Expired: January 31, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Hiring Range: $21.25 to $31.88
Pay Grade: 108
Pay Range: $21.25 to $31.88
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Deadline to Apply: 02/09/2023
Under general direction of the Fleet Services Supervisor, this position performs repairs and preventative maintenance on assigned vehicles including but not limited to refuse trucks, fire trucks, heavy equipment and construction equipment.
- Organizes the inspection, maintenance, and repair of vehicles and equipment used by the City.
- Performs a wide variety of complex duties; completes assigned work orders.
- Helps with pre-trip inspections on vehicles as assigned.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs mechanical defects/failures in various vehicles and equipment.
- Used computer diagnostic equipment, repairs computer systems within vehicles.
- Performs repairs and preventive maintenance on assigned vehicles, especially City vehicles, emergency response vehicles, refuse trucks, motorcycles, golf carts, and fire trucks; changes oil; changes filters; checks fluid levels, checks and replaces brakes and pads, as required; checks, rotates, repairs, and replaces tires; inspects vehicles and related systems to ensure performance of air conditioning, electronic, electrical ,and hydraulic systems; and performs scheduled tune-ups and preventive maintenance.
- Performs routine maintenance and repair of heavy equipment and construction equipment (e.g., transmissions, hydraulics, water pumps) with emphasis on hydraulic systems.
- Tests vehicles/equipment after repair; cleans and washes vehicles/equipment before/after maintenance/repair is completed.
- Brazes and welds metals; fabricates parts and equipment attachments as necessary; and works on small engines as necessary.
- Operates milling and lathe machinery.
- Purchases repair parts and replacement supplies.
- Keeps a complete set of records for all equipment.
- Oversees the mechanic shop and performs related cleanup duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: Education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and two (2) years of general mechanical knowledge of repairing light-duty vehicles, refuse trucks, fire trucks, and heavy/construction equipment. The preferred candidate would have experience with automotive electrical repairs and knowledge of diagnostic software tools like Cummins Insight and Snap-on Solus with welding fabrication experiences. Training will be provided to a candidate that does not meet all the requirements and is willing and able to work in a team environment.
Licensing, Certification, and Other Requirements: Must have or obtain a valid Class B Arizona Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within six months of the hiring date; a clean driving record is imperative.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Knowledge of operation of a variety of heavy/light duty equipment and diesel/gasoline vehicles.
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, compression and water pump repair and maintenance of light and heavy-duty automotive and construction equipment.
- Knowledge of the repair and maintenance of emergency response vehicles.
- Knowledge of tires and rim repair and replacement for automobiles, trucks and other equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational safety and health policies and procedures related to vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Skill in following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in the use of computer diagnostic equipment, i.e. ET, Cummins Insight or Mitchell on Demand. Also, experience in using a computerized maintenance management system software, i.e. RTA
- Skill in safely troubleshooting, repairing and testing vehicles and equipment. Preference is given for refuse truck, fire truck, Police motorcycle mechanic certification / experience. Stick, MIG, TIG Welding certification / experience preferred.
- Skill in working in the field at job sites to repair or tow vehicles or construction equipment.
- Skill in utilizing customer service techniques when responding to inquiries and complaints.
Physical and Visual Ability: Sufficient to lift 75 lbs, effectively and safely perform required duties, and to safely operate required equipment and city vehicle as needed.
Hearing and Speaking Ability: Sufficient to clearly, concisely and effectively communicate in person and over the telephone.
Employee Core Beliefs
City of Prescott employees should seek to uphold the City's core beliefs throughout their day-to-day business and with every customer they come in contact with, both internal and external. Our core beliefs are: Act with Integrity, Work as a Team, Have Personal Commitment and Loyalty, Solve Problems, Take Pride In Excellent Results, High Level of Productivity and Being Nice.
Successful candidate will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Drug screening
- Motor vehicle records check
- Criminal background screening
City of Prescott Contact Information
201 N. Montezuma Street, Suite 207
Prescott, AZ 86301
Phone: 928-777-1410 / eFax: 1-928-832-1222
Major Benefits For Full-Time Regular Employees: Paid time off; ten paid holidays and one floating holiday per year; employee and/or family health and life insurance; short term and long term disability; Arizona State Retirement and Social Security contributions; other optional benefits such as deferred compensation plans and additional life insurance. PROBATION: Each employee must satisfactorily serve an established probationary period. NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process. In accordance with A.R.S. 23 - 493, this position has been identified as "Safety Sensitive". The City of Prescott is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
City of Prescott
AutomotiveView all jobs at City of Prescott
Get fresh Fleet Mechanic jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.