This position provides a variety of detailed administrative support to the Transportation Director, Transit Operations Manager, Transportation Mechanic and Maintenance Manager, Electrical Traffic Manager and Transit Operations Supervisor. Tasks may include: preparing and organizing information, providing clerical support and maintaining accurate records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Provide support for Common Council and various citizen board and commission meetings (20%). Assist in preparation of staff memos for Common Council for ordinances and resolutions. Prepare and send agenda packets, send notices to property owners and affected parties. Publicize public hearings. Take, transcribe, distribute and publish minutes for the monthly Transit Advisory Board and Traffic and Parking Advisory Board meetings. Maintain records of board meetings and listing of ordinances changes.
• Help resolve customer inquiries (20%). Answer the telephone, screen callers, take messages and/or provide information. Enter complaints and compliments in database and forward for resolution. Sell monthly passes, tokens, punch passes and tickets. Compile, type, maintain and submit school schedules, information sheets and EAA convention schedules according to timetables. Handle Access-to-Jobs applications and ADA certifications in the absence of the Customer Service Clerk.
• Administer department’s financial and bookkeeping functions (20%). Assist in counting weekly bus revenue and preparing bank deposits. Reconcile cash register sales and monthly financial reports. Prepare and process invoices, requisitions, purchase orders, Purchasing Card logs and vouchers for purchasing and payment. Analyze financial status for budget development and monitoring.
• Provide asset management and record keeping support for transit operations (20%). Maintain records on operating data, accidents, tires, fuel, oil and property inventory. Prepare monthly reports on revenue, ridership, expenses, accidents, inventory, maintenance, tires, fuel and oil. Reorder fuel, oil supplies and office supplies as needed. Maintain and document assets for purposes of Federal and State compliance. Maintain up-to-date records in order to comply with Federal Transit Administration Triennial Review and other program reviews and audits.
• Provide office and dispatch support for fixed route operations (10%). Assist Transit staff in the scheduling of work, route adjustments and route transfers. Operate a 2-way radio to dispatch information to drivers. Coordinate response to accidents/incidents if needed. Process bus incident/accident reports, notify insurance company and maintain files.
• Coordinate office functions (10%). Provide data processing assistance to office personnel. Keep current with computer improvements and changes. Make travel arrangements. Establish and maintain filing systems for the department. Purchase office supplies and equipment for departmental functions in accordance with procurement policy. Oversee distribution of personnel-related mailings, such as insurance enrollment, to department employees.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Associate’s Degree in Administrative Assistant, Administrative Professional or a related field.
• Three to five years of progressively responsible administrative work experience.
• Valid driver’s license.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices.
• Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate financial records and reports.
• Skill in general office practices and procedures.
• Skill in the use of personal computers, including experience with all MS Office products.
• Possess good interpersonal skills and attention to detail
• Be team oriented and be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the public.
• Skill at meeting deadlines, managing multiple priorities and effectively resolving challenging interpersonal relations.
• Ability to type 50 words per minute.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with other city employees and the public.
• Ability to work with confidential information.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the City may consider a combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Office machines and equipment such as: personal computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, calculator, copier and MS Office Suite software.
The physical demands described in this position description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands to finger/handle objects or operate tools or controls, and to reach with hands or arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described in this position description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interviews, references checks and job related tests may be required.
The duties listed in this position description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.