SUMMER INTERN PARKS
- Posted: over a month ago
Summary of Duties
The sports internship will consist of both operation and communication facets of the sports industry. The Sports Intern will assist in supervising, managing, and implementing youth and adult athletic leagues and tournaments. This position will work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, as needed, and reports directly to the Recreation Supervisor. The Sports Intern will receive hands on experience in a variety of aspects of sports management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with organizing, directing, and supervising athletic programs including leagues, clinics, tournaments, and programs for youth and adults; will attend coaches’ meetings; provides leadership for volunteer coaches for all teams, administers and distributes policies with respect to scheduling, league rules, and safety.
- Must have strong working knowledge of beginning sports i.e., baseball, softball, and soccer.
- Assists Park Maintenance personnel to prepare fields on an as needed basis.
- Maintains inventory of sports equipment and supplies, performs routine maintenance and cleaning after each season, ensures proper maintenance and storage of all equipment and supplies, and maintains inventory records.
- Ensures adherence to established safety procedures, monitors work environment, and use of safety equipment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals. Initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violation.
- Prepares, completes, or receives various forms, reports, correspondence, time sheets, schedules, sports schedules, equipment repair logs, parent and athletic handbooks, manuals, rules, or other documents.
- Communicates with Director, City employees, contractual employees, volunteers, athletes, parents, coaches, the general public or other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities.
- Provides superior customer service to all participants of North Kansas City Parks and Recreation.
- Assists Recreation Supervisor as needed on all special events and enrichment programs for youth and adults.
- Fills in when needed as an umpire or sports official.
- Assist with special projects or new program ideas.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Receives and completes time sheets for officials and turns in to Recreation Supervisor in a timely manner on or before deadline.
- Working toward a degree in sports management, recreation, leisure service and/or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the professional principles, methods, and procedures in public recreation services and sports program administration.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
- Aptitude for problem-solving, leadership, supervising, report writing, interacting with people, and proactive oral and written communication.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in areas of youth and adult athletics, recreation, and the interpersonal skills necessary to work courteously and effectively with other employees and the public.
- Ability to provide appropriate customer service and interact effectively with individuals who may be confused, upset, or irate.
- Skilled in use of personal computer software, including spreadsheet development, word processing, and ability to learn Sportsman.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Other Requirements
- Work is performed in an office environment and in the field, under the full range of climatic conditions, as well as exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, and other atmospheric conditions.
- Must be able to perform the physical tasks necessary to accomplish the essential functions of the job.
- May be required to run, climb, balance, reach with hands and arms, sit, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear, smell, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- May be required to lift and carry over 50 pounds, such as equipment.
- May require irregular hours and be required to serve in an “on-call” capacity
The City of North Kansas City, MO is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, race, color, creed, mental or physical disability, religion, national origin, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law, in the admission or access to, or employment in, its programs or activities. All interested parties are encouraged to apply!
City of North Kansas
AddressKansas City, MO
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?