Office Manager (Administration)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The purpose of this class within the organization is to provide primary administrative support, in
all or some of the essential functions below, to supervisors and staff within the assigned area.
This class works under general supervision, independently developing work methods and
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working
in this class. Management may assign additional duties related to the type of work of
this class as necessary.
- Leads and oversees the administrative functions in the Administration Department; supervises
custodial staff and the administrative assistant.
- Greets visitors and handles their inquiries or directs them to the appropriate department and/or staff member according
to their needs.
- Assists with answering incoming calls, emails, and text messages routing them appropriately, addressing callers and staff inquiries, and taking and directing messages to all relevant departments and /or staff member
- Set up and manages paper or electronic filing systems; record information, create, maintain, and enter information into the database; update and maintain paperwork and/or confidential documents
- Oversees the permitting and scheduling process for the City's ball fields, community gardens, and other City amenities which requires scheduling/reservations and permitting.
- Assists the City Clerk with coordinating all major City events.
- Assists the public in filling out forms; receives checks and credit card payments; maintains lists and proofreads materials.
- Assists the Mayor and Council, City Administrative Officer, and other Senior Staff members in the Administration
Department with coordinating and computing projects, meetings, and events; maintains scheduling events using Google
- Prepare timesheets for biweekly payroll processing and handles minor departmental accounting functions as assigned and correspond with the Finance and Accounting Department
- Editor of the City's bimonthly newsletter; composes, types, and distributes memos, routine correspondence, or reports, such as
presentations or expense, statistical, or monthly reports.
- Updates and posts City reminders, notices, ads, etc., to the City cable channel.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, or phone systems and arranges for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate's Degree in business,
office administration or closely related field is required Requires two years of experience in office
administration, clerical work, or closely related experience.
Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office
Strong written and verbal communication skills to produce reports, assign tasks, accept instructions and handle vendor contracts, among other tasks
Organization and the ability to multitask to complete a wide variety of tasks
Strong interpersonal skills to interact positively with all employees
Motivated, self-starting, and leadership ability to manage challenges and oversee employees
Attention to detail to ensure tasks are completed thoroughly and correctly
Physical demands refer to the requirements for physical exertion and coordination of limbs and
body movement. Performs sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and involves
sustained keyboard operations. Occasionally, requires carrying items under 40 pounds, such as
books, files, and full file boxes, papers, etc.
Unavoidable Hazards (Work Environment):
Unavoidable hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even
though precautions have been taken.
Special Certifications and Licenses:
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The City of New Carrollton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires New Carrollton to
provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and
current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
City of New Carrollton
BusinessView all jobs at City of New Carrollton