Animal Adoption Coordinator I
City of New Albany
New Albany, IN
- Posted: over a month ago
Working under the Animal Adoption Coordinator II, this position is responsible for adoptions, placement, and outreach programming, and a variety of receptionist and secretarial jobs as approved by the Animal Adoption Coordinator II. The Animal Adoption Coordinator I is responsible for maintaining a positive image of the shelter with the public and organizations. This position publicizes the shelter's goals and programs.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
"*" denotes an essential function of the job
- *Assists in supervising the volunteers directly associated with adoption activities.
- *Has the ability or develops the resources to restrain, handle, and maintain any species that may come into the shelter's custody.
- *Has the ability or develops the resources to evaluate animals suitable for adoption, placement into foster care, placement into rescue, or euthanasia.
- *Performs animal adoptions including assisting the public with questions, mediates difficulties. Assist with adoption approval, staff training, and follow-up of adoption placements as requested by the Animal Adoption Coordinator II.
- *Works with rescue groups, foster homes, volunteers, and other necessary community outreach required for programming and the maintenance of a positive public perception of our agency.
- *Responsible for the awareness and attention of the maintenance for the building and grounds of the shelter as requested by the Animal Adoption Coordinator II.
- *Educates adopters on appropriate pet matches for families, animal care and regulations.
- *Performs safety and census record-keeping regarding animal population and adoption.
- *Maintains safeguards on animal documentation of animals held, euthanized and adopted.
- *Monitors all incoming and outgoing animals for health and cleanliness.
- *Performs the process of identification of animals returned to owners from the shelter.
- *Communicates effectively both orally and in writing with a high-quality work product.
- *Cross trains with other areas and provides assistance in training to staff of other areas.
- *Communicates effectively with Animal Adoption Coordinator II and other shelter staff to aid in evaluation of shelter animals and in appropriate placement of animals.
- *Answers the shelter telephones and greets all shelter patrons.
- *Maintains responsibility for accepting animals into the shelter, obtaining necessary information, and completing all forms and computer records.
- *Stays current with national trends in animal sheltering issues and travels to training as necessary.
- *Assists in animal care and euthanasia as necessary.
- *Uses the computer daily for animal record keeping, animal processing, license record keeping and daily administration using the current shelter computer software;
- *Maintains records and sells animal licenses to the public.
- *Conducts training and maintains records on all Shelter Volunteers
- *Assists Animal Adoption Coordinator II, FCHS and FCARL in issuing assistance vouchers to public that qualify.
- *Maintains records working with the public and animal control of the Community Cat Program.
- *Maintains records and sells Dog Park passes and communicates with the New Albany Parks Dept.
- *Able to perform required end of day procedures; i.e. balance money drawer, secure building/area.
- *Coordinates with the Animal Adoption Coordinator II regarding activities with volunteers and groups such as FCARL and FCHS.
- *Works in conjunction with volunteers to develop and execute internal as well as external involvement of volunteers with our programming including but not limited to adoptions, off-site adoptions, rescue programs, and foster programming.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Reports to work in a punctual and timely manner.
- Ability to administer community outreach programming incorporating volunteers to do so to maintain a positive attitude with the public and strive toward a positive public image of our programming.
- Ability to adequately appraise potential adopters to aid in a successful adoption.
- Ability to work with generally accepted methods of operation use judgment in selecting pertinent guidelines for adoption standards to ensure proper treatment of every animal adopted from the shelter.
- Ability to deal with substantially intricate situations involving adoptions, animal care and euthanasia, and must make decisions concerning the health and welfare of shelter animals.
- Maintain initiative to preserve the flow of work.
- Work under stress and with commitment to deadlines.
- Sustain interpersonal relationships which encourage openness, candor and trust, both internally and with the general public.
- Complete projects and/or reports in accurate and timely manner
- Maintain City information in a confidential manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to handle interactions with the public, often under trying situations and must be able to apply accepted protocol in dealing with irate or irrational members of the public.
- Exposure to animal related hazards while performing the duties of the position.
- Frequent bending and lifting up to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Display professional appearance, warm demeanor and positive attitude.
- Be a motivated self-starter.
- Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Work under pressure with time constraints in a changing environment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- This position requires working in both an internal and external environment.
- Occasional amount of time spent working outdoors and in inclimate weather (within reason and safety) to include: hot, humid, cold, rain, ice and snow.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Graduation from high school or G.E.D equivalent required.
- Previous work experience in the animal care and control field preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written form.
- A pleasant, friendly, and outgoing demeanor.
- Willingness to take on additional tasks as assigned.
City of New Albany
AddressNew Albany, IN
HealthcareView all jobs at City of New Albany