City of Manitou Springs Manitou Springs, CO
- Posted: over a month ago
****This is a resume gathering posting for future hires*****
TO QUALIFY AS A LATERAL TRANSFER OFFICER: Candidates must be Colorado P.O.S.T. Certified OR out-of-state candidates who are able to obtain a Provisional Peace Officer Certification upon hire.
Must possess at least two (2) years patrol experience as a full-time law enforcement officer (equivalent to a peace officer under CRS 16-2.5-101) and must transfer directly from, or within one (1) year of leaving, that agency
- Patrol experience includes: Responding to calls for service, community policing, conducting traffic enforcement including impaired driving enforcement, drafting search warrants and affidavits, making physical, custodial arrests upon probable cause, and conducting proactive law enforcement activity.
- Must have satisfactorily completed a formal field training program
- Transfers from detention, corrections, parole, and/or probation assignments do not qualify as lateral transfer officers.
LATERAL HIRING SALARY
Lateral hires are: Police Officer I: $62,263
After 1 year successful service: $65,083
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
The Manitou Springs Police Department is looking for an experienced, proven police officer to join our team. The Patrol Officer performs a variety of law enforcement duties to maintain a safe and prosperous environment within the city limits of the City of Manitou Springs. This often takes the form of patrolling the city for the detection and prevention of crime and enforcement of state and city ordinances. The Patrol Officer reports to the Police Chief or his designee. Colorado POST certification or Provisional Certification is required at time of hire. The Manitou Springs Police Department focuses on quality of life, reducing crime and reducing the fear of crime.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or auxiliary duties that may be required. The City of Manitou Springs retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.):
- Operates an automobile while patrolling the City for the detection and prevention of crime and the enforcement of state statutes and City ordinances.
- Responds to radio dispatches.
- Appears at scenes of disorder or crime.
- Notes and reports traffic hazards.
- Assists in controlling traffic/personnel at scenes of emergencies.
- Investigates and prepares reports on accidents, offenses, and damages to property.
- Operates radar and intoxilyzer.
- Makes arrests, issues citations, serves warrants and subpoenas, gives verbal warnings.
- Prepares reports on arrests and property impounded.
- Inspects establishments providing alcoholic beverages and entertainment.
- Intervenes in private or public disputes to protect the public and maintain order.
- Requests medical attention when necessary.
- Appears in court as arresting or investigation officer/witness.
- Transports prisoners.
- Performs initial investigations and carries out follow-up investigations of crimes; investigates complaints; interrogates persons whose actions are suspicious.
- Assists fire and other inner city departments as well as other law enforcement agencies.
- Enforces animal control ordinances.
- Assists with crime prevention.
- Issues citations for parking and moving violations.
- Participates in in-service training.
- Takes assignments in specific areas as in traffic and investigations.
- Performs pre-duty checks of patrol vehicle.
- Secures other city facilities.
- Operates a Taser.
- Operates a hand held radio and mobile vehicle radio.
- Learns required paperwork, and properly completes report writing.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Learns and operated the department's records management system.
- Subject to call out, or call back for duty on short notice.
- Impounds and tags evidence.
- Provides information and directions.
- Occasionally serves as a dispatcher.
- Makes vacation and business checks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Good physical condition.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver License.
- Good moral character (past criminal activity may be disqualifying see list).
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand departmental rules, policies, instructions, statutes, ordinances, regulations, and police literature, together with an aptitude for law enforcement work.
- Ability to learn the use and care of issued and assigned equipment.
- Willing to submit to extensive training.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, superiors, and the public.
- The ability to work alone under stressful conditions and operate alone in the city as the sole officer, requiring back up from other agencies.
The hiring process includes:
- Oral Board
- Medical/Psychological Evaluation Screening
- Polygraph Interview
- Pre-employment Drug Screen
- Minimum Background Investigation
- Police Chief's Interview
The City of Manitou Springs is an EOE/M-F/AA/ADA employer.