- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
*** WHAT LIBERAL, KANSAS HAS TO OFFER YOU ***
- A small, safe community!!
- Low crime rate
- Fun museums! (Air Museum, Wizard of Oz House)
- Family-friendly environment (Great place to raise kids!)
- A FREE/HUGE recreational center for the kids! (Perfect for summer break)
- 13 Holidays a year PAID OFF!!
- Paid Sick time
- Paid Vacation
- Free fitness membership at the gym of your choice*
- 2 beautiful golf courses
- Semi-Pro Baseball
- Fun community events!
- Great Schools.
- Wonderful Community College. https://sccc.edu/web/mycampus/home
- Pancakes. We REALLY love OUR pancakes. (A lot of fun pancake activities)
$10/Month Medical BCBS of Kansas includes
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform a variety of auditing, accounting, and budgeting duties in support of all funds, programs, and activities of the City including financial reporting, preparing work papers, maintaining and reviewing of financial records, and performing a variety of tasks related to assigned areas of responsibility. Accountants are responsible for major elements of the City’s general accounting and budgetary systems. The requirement of a conceptual grasp of complex accounting systems or sub-systems, as well as new systems development, distinguishes this class from the Accountant I Level. Employees filling these positions also assume the role of an expert in their area of responsibility and advise representatives of other departments on fiscal matters. Considerable independence is exercised in the development of procedures used in compliance with general policies and procedures. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Accounting, who evaluates work on the basis of observation and results achieved.
- Perform a variety of duties including accounting, financial reporting and fixed assets; preparing monthly journal entries; reviewing and authorizing claim vouchers.
- Provide responsible assistance and support to the Finance Department staff, the Director of Accounting, and the Director of Finance.
- Participate in the posting, balancing, and reconciliation of the general ledger and subsidiary accounts; ensure all transactions comply with generally accepted accounting principles. • Monitor and balance various accounts; verify availability of funds; classify expenditures and revenues; and research and analyze transactions to resolve problems.
- Prepare a variety of monthly, periodic, and annual financial and statistical reports and accounting summaries required by the City and outside agencies.
- Update the chart of accounts in the financial management information system; respond to inquiries and provide information regarding account numbers.
- Recommend and assist in the preparation and implementation of City and Finance Department goals and objectives; implement approved policies and procedures.
- Assist in the annual closing of the City's financial records and in the compilation and review of the annual budget.
- Participate in the maintenance of general ledger and accounting control records, capital projects, and fixed assets
- Reconcile various bank accounts to the general ledger.
- Prepare the annual financial statements including production of work papers, verification of account and fund balances, comparison of previous and current year revenues and expenditures, and preparation and input of statements for internal and external use.
- Prepare audit schedules and confirmations; respond to inquiries from auditors and provide information within the area of assignment.
- Assist other departments in preparation and maintenance of financial records and development and implementation of accounting processes.
- Conduct and prepare internal audits of City Departments and other financial and revenue studies as directed.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Operations, services, and activities of governmental accounting programs, financial reporting, and fixed assets.
- Generally accepted accounting principles, theories and procedures.
- Classification Description City of Liberal
- Principles and practices of general ledger preparation, maintenance, and reconciliation. • Principles and practices of mathematics and statistics.
- Principles and practices of budgeting.
- Financial research and report preparation methods and techniques.
- Automated financial management systems.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Purchasing practices and procedures.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Perform professional-level accounting duties in accounting, financial reporting, and fixed assets. • Conduct financial research and analysis.
- Examine, complete, and analyze detailed financial documents, forms, and records. • Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with co-workers, customers and the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. • Prepare a variety of financial statements, reports, and analyses.
- Operate and use modern office equipment including 10-key adding machines, computers, printers, and copiers.
- Utilize computer equipment and software to produce complex reports, informational items, tracking systems, and related documents.
- Apply Federal, State, and local laws and regulations pertaining to accounting and auditing activities.
- Perform responsible work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative. • Work cooperatively and safely with other City employees and the public.
- Working Conditions:
- Office Environment; exposure to computer screens. Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; extensive use of computer keyboard; light lifting and carrying; pushing and pulling; reaching; handling; use of fingers; talking; hearing; acuity
• Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment or shift.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
The Candidate must possess a Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, or closely related field and one (1) year of professional accounting or auditing experience; governmental accounting experience is highly desirable or any combination of education, training, or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
Liberal is a town of approximately 20,000 with an excellent community college and solid public school district. Located minutes from the Oklahoma panhandle and not too far from the Texas border, with Colorado and New Mexico in proximity. The largest City in Kansas is a 90-minute drive (Wichita). Housing is available for both rental and real estate purchase.
City of Liberal, KSWhy Work Here?
Working for a municipality has its rewards! Great benefits, and providing a very important service to the public tax payers of the City.
Working for the City of Liberal has a very comfortable feel. The work environment has a management style of open door and freedom to manage your workload without being micro-managed. Success is in your own hands. The Accounting department consists of full-time staff members titled A/P, A/R, Accountant l, Director of Accounting, and the open position Accountant ll. Liberal is a town of approximately 20,000 with an excellent community college and solid public school district. Located minutes from the Oklahoma panhandle and not too far from the Texas border, with Colorado and New Mexico in proximity. The largest City in Kansas is a 90-minute drive (Wichita). Housing is available for both rental and real estate purchase.
234 North Kansas AveOklahoma City, OK
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at City of Liberal, KS