Manager - Finance
- $116,760 to $155,679 Yearly
Annual Salary Range: $116,759.64-$155,679.48
EEO Category: 1.2 First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers
General Summary: Provides highly responsible management support in the planning, analysis, coordination, and conduct of operating programs and activities; supervises assigned staff; and performs administrative studies and special projects. Tasks may include:
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of the Finance department to assure maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
- Oversee assigned administrative processes, procedures, programs, and activities
- Prepare reports, manuals, and correspondence relating to departmental and interdepartmental operations, systems, and procedures; interpret rules, standards, and procedures; monitor programs and compile project status reports.
- Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the performance of staff; establish performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitor performance and provide coaching for performance improvement and development; make decisions to recognize performance; take disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with the City’s personnel rules and policies.
- Recommend staffing levels, select, train, supervise, and establish performance requirements for permanent, temporary, and part-time staff
- Provide day-to-day leadership and work with staff to ensure a high-performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving City and departmental mission, objectives, and service standards
- Apply best practices and quality assurance processes to assigned areas of responsibility
- Enforce the maintenance of safe working conditions and ensure safe work practices are followed by staff
- Provide leadership to ensure a fair and open work environment in accordance with the City's commitment to equal employment opportunity
The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills in order to work with all City Departments and all levels of employees. Desirable knowledge, skills, and abilities include, but are not limited to:Desired Skills
- Experience working with Tyler's ERP software Munis
- Experience in municipal finance and/or governmental accounting
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the work of accounting professionals and office support staff to ensure fiscal matters are dealt with appropriately and correctly, reports are produced in a timely and accurate manner, and staff functions effectively and efficiently
- Ability to produce an Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR)
- Ability to work with a variety of levels of staff, develop working relationships, and effectively communicate complex financial data
- Experience acting as the agency liaison on external audits
- Review/monitor City bank accounts, cash flows, and investment portfolio and make recommendations to management on financial performance and planning.
- Ability to review and verify the accuracy of financial data and information and associated legal documents and make sound, independent judgments within established guidelines
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statements
- Knowledge of internal controls, including how to perform reviews and evaluations of internal controls, how to perform risk assessments, and how to design and implement control procedures
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), as well as practices and techniques of independent auditors
- Knowledge of principles of budgetary preparation, administration, and control
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in municipal finance and governmental accounting, including experience with computers, systems analysis, and data processing applications. At least two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience with governmental financial accounting and investment management
- Problem-Solving – Analytically and logically evaluating information
- Learning Agility – Seeking learning opportunities and applying the lessons to work
- Handling Stress – Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Professional Integrity & Ethics – Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Safety Focus – Showing Vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards
- Customer Focus – Attending to the Needs and expectations of customers
- Informing – Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Teamwork – Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Valuing Diversity – Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
- Allocating Resources – Prioritizing the use of fiscal and material resources to maximize organizational effectiveness
- Put people first.
- Be visionary.
- Be an ambassador for Lancaster.
- Be Fiscally Responsible.
- Be Creative.
- Always Improving.
- Be Adaptable and Resilient.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Ascend/Descend stairs/ladders/balance (moderate)
- Position self to bend or twist (frequent)
- To move, transport, position items up to 15 lbs. (frequent)
- Exposed to outdoor weather conditions (infrequent)
- Operate Equipment (none)
- Stationary or squatting position (frequent)
- Work under time pressure (moderate to frequent)
- Interruptions (frequent)
Essential Cognitive Functions:
- Analyze (continuous)
- Computations (frequent)
- Generate Written Work Product (moderate)
- Independent Problem Solving (continuous)
- Interruptions (frequent)
- Maintain Positive Public Relations (continuous)
- Organize (frequent)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time;
The City of Lancaster will consider qualified applicants with a criminal history pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act. You do not need to disclose your criminal history or participate in a background check until a conditional job offer is made to you. After making a conditional offer and running a background check, if the City of Lancaster is concerned about conviction that is directly related to the job, you will be given the chance to explain the circumstances surrounding the conviction, provide mitigating evidence, or challenge the accuracy of the background report. Find out more about the Fair Chance Act by visiting www.dfeh.ca.gov/fair-chance-act/.
City of LancasterLancaster, CA
Finance and Insurance
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.