City of Jonesboro Jonesboro, GA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Grade15, Hiring Rate
$18.50 - $24.90 per hour
- Max $51,792
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:This position makes mechanical repairs to gasoline and diesel-powered automotive, heavy and light, and other power-driven equipment and performs fabrication work;
SUPERVISED BY: (TITLE)
The role of the mechanic for the City of Jonesboro helps in maintenance operations while performing preventive maintenance and repairing vehicles in the Fleet Department.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Administrative direction is provided by the Public Works Director
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carries out and evaluates preventive maintenance schedules for all vehicles and mechanical equipment, either personally, or through outside vendors.
- Operates a variety of diagnostic instruments and a variety of hand, electric, and air-driven tools.
- Tests, services and repairs vehicles and mechanical equipment.
- Inspects, adjusts, and replaces necessary units and related parts in the performance of repair and maintenance work.
- Repair’s brake, engine, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, ignition, air, exhaust, axle assemblies and related systems.
- Cuts and welds metal and performs body repair, touch up and related work.
- Evaluates status of mechanical equipment and vehicles and performs or schedules needed repairs.
- Conducts various analyses and inspections of vehicles and mechanical systems to determine the most cost-effective means of maintenance, repair, or replacement.
- Follows shop procedures and data for the maintenance and repair of vehicles and mechanical systems.
- Purchase’s equipment, parts, and supplies used for vehicle and mechanical system maintenance.
- Maintains records, prepares reports and other specialized maintenance records of shop equipment.
- The employee must have the ability to work well with others and have a good/pleasant attitude.
- Provides emergency field assistance to disabled equipment as needed and appropriate.
- Performs other essential duties as required to achieve successful maintenance operations Regular and timely attendance is an essential job function.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides assistance as requested to the Public Works Director.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact the attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates under the direction of Public Works Director.
Contacts are across the City Organization as well as outside the City. Contact is a critical component of success in this role.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum Three (3) years experience preferred as automotive and truck mechanic.
- Must be experienced in all aspects of automotive and truck repair, including rebuild, rebuild modification, and heavy equipment repair.
- Be a self-starter and show initiative Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of shop mathematics and skill in reading schematics;
- Skill in troubleshooting and effecting full range of needed overhaul and/or repair to a variety of heavy equipment and automotive equipment components, systems and assemblies;
- Skill in the identification, selection, and use of various test, measurement, and diagnostic tools;
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools; skill in the use and application of technical manuals and bulletins, manufacturer's specs, wiring diagrams, shop operating procedures, and related materials;
- Skill in arc, mig and gas welding techniques;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of mobile equipment and knowledge of proper safety and driving regulations;
- Ability to work effectively with coworkers and outside departments;
- Ability to read and interpret manuals, technical bulletins, and various other departmental materials.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with customers and the general public by telephone and in person;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
ADA) MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift weights up to 100 pounds Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration or risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy.
Exhaust and welding fumes, chemical solvents, electrical shocks, noise, dirt, grease, working in vicinity of operating vehicles and/or equipment with moving parts, the possibility of falling objects, inclement weather conditions. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Jonesboro is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
ASSOCIATE SIGNATURE CONFIRMS RECEIPT OF DESCRIPTION DATE
APPROVED BY MAYOR APPROVED CITY MANAGER
DATE CREATED/UPDATED: (07/27/2021)
City of Jonesboro
AutomotiveView all jobs at City of Jonesboro