Assistant City Manager
- Posted: over a month ago
About the Position
The Assistant City Manager assists the City Manager with day-to-day administrative duties; conducts independent research studies; makes recommendations on internal policies, complex administrative projects and problems; and maintains inventory control of public-owned properties. In addition, the ACM coordinates the activities of several administrative divisions. Directives, letters, memoranda and reports are prepared regarding the promulgation and implementation of administrative rules and regulations. Frequent contact is made with local, state and federal officials to resolve problems and develop projects. The work is performed under the direction of the City Manager, with broad latitude for independent action and decisions. The Assistant City Manager acts for the City Manager, from time to time, when the City Manager is absent.
Examples of Responsibilities
- assists the City Manager in administrative duties, conducts independent research, and makes recommendations on complex administrative projects and problems
- studies operational issues and recommends solutions
- coordinates administrative services and provides guidance for division directors
- facilitates communication and cooperation between departments
- interprets policies for department heads
- encourages innovative and productive improvements throughout the organization
- informs legislative representatives regarding the viewpoints of the City on relevant issues
- oversees long-term planning and growth management, land use and zoning activities, implementation of related policies such as the Comprehensive Plan as adopted by the Commission, and development regulations.
- coordinates the installation of new systems, procedures and methods of operations
- prepares and revises general administrative manuals, and reviews specialized manuals
- prepares various reports
- assists department heads in effecting improvements in overall administration
- prepares written material for the dissemination of information regarding administrative policies and practices
- meets with representatives of local, state and federal agencies as needed to achieve objectives
- prepares departmental budgets
- maintains inventory of city owned property and coordinates the sell and purchase of real property
Education & Experience
Candidates should hold a degree from a college or university of recognized standing, preferably a Master's Degree in Public Administration or related field of study. He or she should have extensive responsible experience in research, business administration and/or public administration, preferably in municipal government. The City will consider candidates with an equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Progressively responsible experience in municipal administration with three to five years as an Assistant City Manager or City Manager is preferred. The ideal candidate should have experience in finance, budget, human resources and other internal services.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
City of Johnson City
AddressJohnson City, TN
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?