Education & Volunteer Coordinator
- Posted: over a month ago
Imagine if you were given an opportunity to connect with others who want to keep our community the most livable and safe it can possibly be. If you like to work with area children, animals and enjoy a variety of daily tasks, you may be a great addition to our Zoo team. Make a difference with the City of Hutchinson!
The Education & Volunteer Coordinator coordinates, develops, implements and delivers the Hutchinson Zoo's educational programming. Other primary responsibilities include providing daily husbandry and care for the educational animal collection, coordinating educational components by assisting with public relations and marketing efforts, and special projects/events. The successful candidate will have strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and coordination/leadership skills.
A Day in the Life:
- Develop, implement, market, evaluate and revise all educational presentations and programming for schools, organized groups and This includes tours, workshops, camps and other activities utilizing the Zoo's resources to enhance public understanding and appreciation of wildlife and inspire conservation action.
- Promote all programming through communication with schools, local media and general public; Communicate directly with teachers and community members to schedule programs both on and off-site.
- Recruit, train and supervise an education Volunteer Program; track education volunteer schedules and hours. Assist with general volunteer recruitment, hiring, orientation and training. Assist with school and community volunteer group activities.
- Prepare monthly and annual reports for Education programs and activities. General oversight of educational budget and purchasing materials needed for programs.
- Perform and supervise the husbandry, enrichment, and training of the education animals; In conjunction with the Zoo Director and Curator, develop and revise an education animal collection plan as well as care and handling procedures. Track animal handling usage for programs.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the business and community representatives to facilitate the dissemination of program information to the general public; Develop and conduct special programs in conjunction with or under the sponsorship of various public and private organizations and individuals.
- Participate and help coordinate education components of special events when appropriate.
What You Will Need to be Successful:
Education: A Bachelor's degree in science education or biology sciences from an accredited university required.
Experience: 1+ years' of experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating conservation and environmental programs is required. Prior experience in recruiting, training, and managing volunteers is essential; Prior experience in handling and providing proper husbandry of animals used in programming is required.
Certifications/License: Must have or be able to obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within 6 months of employment.
The City of Hutchinson employs over 400 employees that serve our community every day. City employees make Hutchinson a great place to live, work, and play. We take pride in our work, and it shows. Come be a part of a workforce that makes a difference! We're always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team.
City of Hutchinson is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
City of Hutchinson
Non ProfitView all jobs at City of Hutchinson
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?