City of Fremont Fremont, NE
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Pay Range: $21.30-$29.97
The City utilizes multiple Accounting Associates in our organization. While each Accounting Associate may assist with any function of the department, including those listed below, our current structure allows each Associate the opportunity to primarily focus on one area. Under this structure the currently available position would be the primary contact for Accounts Receivable/Payable functions.
This is highly responsible specialized clerical work in the maintenance of financial records. Work also involves responsibility for performing accounting clerical work requiring a knowledge of double entry bookkeeping and of established governmental/regulatory accounting procedures. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures. Assistance is available from a superior in respect to unusual technical problems and possible changes in procedures. Work is controlled through external system checks and periodic external audits and is evaluated in terms of adherence to established procedures and schedules. The exercise of mature judgment, considerable tact, and discretion is required. Work is performed under general supervision with work being reviewed through conferences, results achieved and adherence to related regulations.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- May assist and support higher-level management with various accounting projects and processes.
- May process invoices for payment; including data entry; prepare a variety of accounts payable reports for department heads, administrators, and policy makers; and prepare accounts payable checks.
- May process bi-weekly payroll; review and distribute monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll reports. May assist with bi-weekly verification of payroll hours. May process certain payroll related payable bills.
- May prepare and update employee leave balance reports; maintain a variety of files relating to payroll.
- May prepare financial statements and month-end cash reports; maintain and reconcile a variety of balance sheet accounts; make and prepare journal entries; examine accounting transactions to ensure accuracy; and correct financial records as necessary.
- May prepare sales tax returns for various departments.
- May provide assistance in the annual audit; prepare audit papers to assist external auditing firms.
- May assist Finance Director in the coordination and preparation of data and documentation for the development of the annual City budget.
- May update and maintain vendor information for compliancy with IRS regulations concerning W-9 and 1099 Forms.
May process various 1099 forms at year-end.
- May keep bank balances updated on a daily basis for cash flow, make daily deposits, and process accounts receivable for the City.
- May perform a variety of accounting clerical work that may include counting and receipting money for all City departments, balancing cash registers and reconciling receipts.
- May process accounts payable, void checks, wire transfers, and credit cards for the City.
- Billing and collection of miscellaneous accounts receivable.
- May maintain records and process billings pertaining to COBRA health insurance, leased and rented property, and insufficient fund checks.
- May be responsible for records and cash boxes kept in safe.
- May sort daily mail.
- May perform various tasks involved in providing customer service.
- May send delinquent accounts to collection agencies; gather and provide appropriate documentation for collection agency.
- May prepare and mail customer collection letters for delinquent accounts; prepare and send letters for final account notices.
- May respond to correspondence and maintain banking relationships involving bank ACH files, EFT's and wiring requirements with federal bank regulations,
- Communicate daily with various other public agencies, departments, and property owners; maintain various inventories, and billings.
- Prepare a variety of accounting reports and records; maintain and update files and records for the department; use a variety of computer software that may involve spreadsheets, word processing and databases.
- May coordinate duties when supervisors or coworkers are absent.
- Serves as a lead application specialist for software application in area of responsibility and prepares instructional material for others to follow.
- Display honest, trustworthy and ethical behavior when dealing with internal and external customers. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Regular attendance that is punctual and dependable is required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Considerable knowledge of established policies and procedures of the agency for financial management, accounting, and reporting.
- Considerable knowledge of office practices, procedures, systems, and equipment.
- Knowledge of basic principles of general cost, and budgetary accounting. Knowledge of general features of computerized accounting systems.
- Ability to apply financial policies and procedures to varied work situations. Proficient in Excel and experienced in Microsoft Word.
- Ability to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting new problems. Ability to counsel other employees in established procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, vendors, and the general public.
- Skill in the operation of devices using an alphanumeric keyboard.
Employee must possess and maintain a current and valid Nebraska Driver’s License.
Must reside within twenty-five (25) miles of the city limits of Fremont, NE.
City of Fremont
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at City of Fremont